No announcement yet.

Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't go 2 litres per gallon...it will overpower everything, make a 3 gallon batch!

Google is my friend:

Zinc gluconate is the zinc salt of gluconic acid. It is an ionic compound consisting of two moles of gluconate for each mole of zinc. Zinc gluconate is a popular form for the delivery of zinc as a dietary supplement.

Xanthan gum is also used as a substitute for wheat gluten in gluten-free breads, pastas and other flour-based food products

The use of guar gum as an ingredient in non-prescription diet aids was officially banned in the early 1990s by the FDA. The guar gum would bind with liquids in the stomach and swell, causing a feeling of satisfying fullness. However, this mass of swollen guar gum would also cause dangerous intestinal and duodenal blockages. Guar gum was declared unsafe and ineffective for use as a non-prescription diet aid, although it is still used in small amounts as a food thickener and binder

dont think any of those will inhibit fermentation
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I'll do three separate 1 gallon batches. The problem with 3 gallon batches is that whilst I have some 3 gallon primaries, I don't have a 3 gallon secondary so would have to split down to 1 gallon batches each anyway

Just basically read the same stuff, but didn't know if it would have an adverse affect on the wine, the gum being a thickener.

Will be interesting to compare this and the proper lychee.
      Last edited by ukric; 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM.
      With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• tins of Lychee at Tesco down to 45p a tin at the moment.

Comment

• whoo hoo tescos here we come
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            whoo hoo tescos here we come
            I've been making a few gallons with 1 litre grape juice, 1 litre apple juice per gallon. It's been turning out very drinkable.

I've got a litre of apple and elderflower to try it with this time. (also from tesco)

Comment

• I'd thought the gums should give it a little more body. Let us know how it turns out please.

Comment

• the main thing that would concern me about the gums is that they would stabilise a foam, so potentially turning your full(ish) DJ into something like that gross indoor firework (sugar and conc sulphuric acid - remember it?). Low foaming, bottom fermenting yeast would help
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Excellent I love this wine. Off to Tescos I go

Comment

• Originally posted by darrel View Post
                    Excellent I love this wine. Off to Tescos I go
                    They'd sold out at my Tesco, only 1 dented tin left maybe tomorrow.

Comment

• Hi Rich:

Just wanted to post a big thank you. I saw your lychee recipe and gave it a go. Absolutely fantastic. I am now buying up my local tescos lychee stocks (41p a tin here in broadstairs).

http://markblades.com
                      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                        Hi Rich:

Just wanted to post a big thank you. I saw your lychee recipe and gave it a go. Absolutely fantastic. I am now buying up my local tescos lychee stocks (41p a tin here in broadstairs).

No problem

Comment

• (Hi everyone - long time no speak but I've been busy doing non-wine type stuff)

I think there must be something drastically wrong with my tastebuds coz I still don't really like the taste of my lychee wine that is now about a year old. I LOVE Gwerty, but seemingly not lychee...

Rich kindly sent me some of his lychee to try, and I'm afraid that I simply don't like it. The strangest thing is that I gave a bottle to a woman at work, and she's raving about it and wants to make her own, so I suppose at least it's having a positive effect on people!

Bob, help!
                          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Lychees at Tesco's today 47p....

what is it you dont like Jo?

is it too strong on lychee?
                            lacking body?

I now make mine using 1 litre WGC per gallon, and it turns out FAB....i'm about to bottle some, remind me and i will send you some
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              Lychees at Tesco's today 47p....

what is it you dont like Jo?

is it too strong on lychee?
                              lacking body?

I now make mine using 1 litre WGC per gallon, and it turns out FAB....i'm about to bottle some, remind me and i will send you some
                              Too strong on the lychees I guess; and REMIND REMIND REMIND...

So what recipe do you use then? (and I take back my threat to bring you parsnip wine!)
                              HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• 1 litre white grape concentrate
                                1 tsp pectolase
                                1 tsp bentonite
                                1 tsp Tartaric acid
                                1/2 tsp vitamon ultra nutrient
                                Lalvin K1V-1116 Yeast
                                Water to 1 gallon (then add 2 tins lychees including syrup form the tin and adjust SG to 1.080 if necessary. After first racking 1 gallon of wine will be left.)

You may wish to use just one tin of lychees?
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X