No announcement yet.

Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting the above post, just made me realise why I had to back sweeten this current lot...
    I used citric acid instead of tartaritc acid
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
      Posting the above post, just made me realise why I had to back sweeten this current lot...
      I used citric acid instead of tartaritc acid
      Great. Many thanks for that and the welcome

Ah, so it'd be two cartons and more sugar - how would three instead effect it?

When you say that you had to back sweeten because you used citric acid, what exactly do you mean?

Sorry if these are daft questions.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by iridium View Post
        Great. Many thanks for that and the welcome

Ah, so it'd be two cartons and more sugar - how would three instead effect it?

When you say that you had to back sweeten because you used citric acid, what exactly do you mean?

Sorry if these are daft questions.

Steve
        Not daft questions at all

I had to back sweeten, as the wine had a too tart taste in my opinion, and I wouldn't have drank it .... a little sweetness resolved this.
        I haven't quite got my head round all the acid ness part of wine making yet, but there will be a boffin along soon, if you need more info.
        The methodogy of back sweeteing is in the tuturial section, in the Wine number 2 recipe LINKY - post number 4, shows back sweetening with grape juice. But a sugar solution would work just as well.

As far using 3 cartons....

Do you mean 2 lychee, 1 white grape juice?
        Or the other way about ?
        Regardless, I haven't made it using 3 cartons in any variation.... only 1 and 1 , so I cant really comment on any outcome of 3 cartons.

If I was going to use 3 cartons, I would go for the first option.... 2 lychee, one grape.
        I would also do a standard version of 1 and 1, at the same time, for comparitive purposes to see which one I preferred
        Just remember to adjust the sugar accordingly, so that you get a starting gravity of apprx 1.080.

I hope this answers your questions... ask away more if not.
        Carole

Comment

Not daft questions at all

I had to back sweeten, as the wine had a too tart taste in my opinion, and I wouldn't have drank it .... a little sweetness resolved this.
          I haven't quite got my head round all the acid ness part of wine making yet, but there will be a boffin along soon, if you need more info.
          The methodogy of back sweeteing is in the tuturial section, in the Wine number 2 recipe LINKY - post number 4, shows back sweetening with grape juice. But a sugar solution would work just as well.

As far using 3 cartons....

Do you mean 2 lychee, 1 white grape juice?
          Or the other way about ?
          Regardless, I haven't made it using 3 cartons in any variation.... only 1 and 1 , so I cant really comment on any outcome of 3 cartons.

If I was going to use 3 cartons, I would go for the first option.... 2 lychee, one grape.
          I would also do a standard version of 1 and 1, at the same time, for comparitive purposes to see which one I preferred
          Just remember to adjust the sugar accordingly, so that you get a starting gravity of apprx 1.080.

I hope this answers your questions... ask away more if not.
          Carole
          Hi Carole,

Many thanks for your kind help. Yeah, I was thinking of two lychee and one grape, but you're right, I should try the just two lychee first and compare. Thanks for the tip about the starting gravity too.

Speaking of sugar, any point in inverting it first?

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Hi Carole,

Many thanks for your kind help. Yeah, I was thinking of two lychee and one grape, but you're right, I should try the just two lychee first and compare. Thanks for the tip about the starting gravity too.

Speaking of sugar, any point in inverting it first?

Thanks!

Steve
            I have never inverted the sugar.... for any of the wine number one variations, or wine number 2 variations that I have made...and they all worked out fine
            No point in over complicating things, in my opinion
            Although there may be others who prefer too.....
            I am sure there was a thread talking about it recently..... but I think the conclusion, was not to>
            Last edited by spritzer; 28-11-2010, 11:35 PM. Reason: last 2 lines added on

Comment

I have never inverted the sugar.... for any of the wine number one variations, or wine number 2 variations that I have made...and they all worked out fine
              No point in over complicating things, in my opinion
              Although there may be others who prefer too.....
              I am sure there was a thread talking about it recently..... but I think the conclusion, was not to>
              Ah, thanks. It was for speed mainly - although I'm not sure how much it'd do that. I was hoping to have this ready for Christmas

Steve

Comment

• I am not the best at explaining Steve
                This is what Jack Keller says on this LINKY for inverting sugar, which might help.

Invert Sugar: The product of the hydrolysis of sucrose, which is glucose and fructose. Dextrose (an isomer of glucose) and levulose (an isomer of fructose) are obtained by the inversion of sucrose, and hence called invert sugar. Yeast convert invert sugar more rapidly than sucrose, such as simple cane sugar, because they do not have to break the sucrose down into glucose and fructose themselves. Invert sugar can be made by dissolving two parts sugar into one part water, adding two teaspoons lemon juice per pound of sugar, bringing this almost to a boil, and holding it there for 30 minutes (NOT allowing it to boil). If not to be used immediately upon cooling, this can be poured into a sealable jar, sealed and cooled in the refrigerator. Invert sugar should NOT be used to sweeten finished wine as it will encourage refermentation.

Comment

Ah, thanks. It was for speed mainly - although I'm not sure how much it'd do that. I was hoping to have this ready for Christmas

Steve
                  No... nor me
                  One of the mods/boffins will know....
                  But failing that, why not start a quick 7 day kit, for xmas, to tide you over till you can start off a lychee one

Comment

• Ha !
                    I knew I had seen a RECENT THREAD about inverted sugar

Comment

Ha !
                      I knew I had seen a RECENT THREAD about inverted sugar
                      Excellent. Thanks very much for your help. It seems that with today's yeasts, it isn't worth the trouble of inverting the sugar. See, told you it was a while since I did this

Steve

Comment

Excellent. Thanks very much for your help. It seems that with today's yeasts, it isn't worth the trouble of inverting the sugar. See, told you it was a while since I did this

Steve
                        No probs....
                        I am sure it will be like you never stopped soon
                        Will be interesting to see how you get on with your comparisons

Comment

No probs....
                          I am sure it will be like you never stopped soon
                          Will be interesting to see how you get on with your comparisons
                          Thanks. I'll be sure to report back and let you all know.

Oh, one more question. Yeast - which yeast are similar to Lalvin K1-V1116? Would Lalvin ICV/D47 be suitable? Which yeast do you use for this?

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

Thanks. I'll be sure to report back and let you all know.

Oh, one more question. Yeast - which yeast are similar to Lalvin K1-V1116? Would Lalvin ICV/D47 be suitable? Which yeast do you use for this?

Thanks again.

Steve
                            I sometime having bother getting the Lalvin yeasts at my HBS.... so I use Gervin number one yeast
                            It works for me

Comment

• I have used D47 for Lychee and it works well.
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I sometime having bother getting the Lalvin yeasts at my HBS.... so I use Gervin number one yeast
                                It works for me
                                Gervin No3 = Lalvin EC-1118
                                Gervin D = Lalvin 71B-1122
                                Gervin No2 = Lalvin RC-212
                                Gervin No5 = Lalvin D47
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X