No announcement yet.

Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that the hectic period of grapefest is passed I am going to give this a go at the weekend. Tried a glass courtesy of Rich at GF and was impressed.

Comment

• I think you'll find that was Rob's Lychee wine at GF11. And it was very good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
        I think you'll find that was Rob's Lychee wine at GF11. And it was very good!
        Oooops, silly me.

I was a bit drunk by then though.

Hope mine turns out half as good as Rob's did then !

Comment

• Acid

I have read this chart very useful

when it gives acid content as g/l on my Richies kit, which is all I have, how does this compare to ppt

Hope I am not being too dumb here

I am fermenting some red in a bucket at the moment and at the start the adid ppt of sulphuric was 6.

Any comment
          Malc
          Malc

Comment

• I have made mine using the juice made by rubicon instead of using the tinned fruit and given that, decided to leave out the pectolase. This now looks like a poor decision as I have a hazy batch that I have now added pectolase to. Lesson learnt.

Comment

• Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post
              when it gives acid content as g/l on my Richies kit, which is all I have, how does this compare to ppt
              Hi malc

g/l and ppt are the same measure....

what you have to watch for is whether the kit you are tesing with expresses thesult as sulphuric or tartaric, you can then look at the chart and do the conversion.

Talking to koomber at grapefest this year, he says there is a simple calculation to convert sulphuric results to tartaric, but can't remember what it was....

Graham, would you care to enlighten us?

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Rich says he added a vitamin B1 tablet. My search for B1 eventually got me a bottle of the least-additive-full B1 tablets from a health-food place. There is other stuff (I suppose there has to be to get it to be a tablet) like stearic acid and magnesium stearate, a mind-numbing few minutes on wikipedia suggests they are benign to yeasties - is this the B1 to use, or is there alternative guidance on this?
                Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• The stuff I seem to remember getting from a hbs came in the usual white tub, with an orange Youngs label on I think.

There is better yeast nutrient on the market though, and an 'all in one' type product would be better. (read: I no longer use B1 tablets)

Good luck with trying this recipe, it's won awards for some people. I just picked up some more tins of lychees today.
                  Last edited by Rich; 24-11-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Thank you Rich, Lychees will now be tronozy, tronzyo, moldzytron, mzytrim... actually B1 had its advantages.
                    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

• My hazy batch of Lychee has responded well to a dose of pectolase followed later by some Kwik Clear. Racked to demijohns now and subjected to a blending experiment with my 'HOT' wine#1. Also given the teabag treatment to Four of the of the gallons. The half a bottle left over spare I have sampled tastes great, very impressed with this.

Thanks for a great recipe Rich !

Comment

• Ingredients and bucket at the ready. One basic question, do you pulp the lychees with a masher or something similar?

And another (if I may be so bold) one of my wine kits came with grape skins which you put in a muslin bag. If I put the fruit in a muslin bag and weigh it down under the surface, I thought that might save stirring the cap in each day... is this a bad idea?

Comment

• I usually chop the lychee's in half if I remember. I know Bri has done in before by chopping them into little pieces, made racking a pain. A muslin type bag would be a reasonable idea I think. Would make racking easier, and be able to strain the fruit quite easily.

Comment

• Good. Many thanks for your patience, this project is now through planning and about to hit the bucket...

Comment

• No problem. Plenty of patience here, sometimes

keep us all updated how it's going please.

Comment

• Lychee planned and ready to start tonight - great thread for information

Comment

Working...
                                X