No announcement yet.

Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightly sweetened. . might be worth reading the tin first. But, good spot Richard.

Comment

• Morrisons are the dogs whatsits for tinned lychees, 89 p a tin, but they are 565g tins, Kingfisher brand. As against Asda at £1.40 something for 425g of John West ones.
      Just noted the Lidl ones are big tins too, top banana Mr Sharp, here comes another of those odd supermarket moments, 200 tins of lychees and a block of cheese.
      Last edited by Duffbeer; 20-01-2009, 09:30 PM.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
        200 tins of lychees and a block of cheese.
        Now you are getting silly, forget about the cheese.........
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard S View Post
          Lidl will have Lychee's on offer from next Mon (26th) at 75p per tin.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...F4BNFQ00TN8359
          Brilliant timing...

I have made two batches of this. One I meant to sparkle, so I put six bottles upside down in the chest freezer, then got completely sidetracked by something. When my wife went to find something in there the next day she found six broken bottles and a lot of over sized lollipops.

The other batch, well I spent an hour last night looking for the DJ as it should be about time to bottle it, but I can't find it anywhere!

I think I'll get myself off to Lidls next week. You never know, I may actually get to taste batch #3!

Comment

• I bottled my first gallon yesterday. I'm really pleased with it - very close to the bottle Rich brought a while ago.

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I have a batch clearing now and will have another batch on in the next few days, great stuff.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• I need to get some more of this on soon.. It's turned into our 'house' white. Last lot was a 5 gallon batch, sith the lychees then pressed in my small fruit press. Turned out very good.

Rich

Comment

• Lychee wine question

I started a batch of Lychee wine a few days ago, on the same night as several other batches of different fruit wines (I was left on my own for a few days, which is dangerous as I can then get away with turning the whole house into a winery).

I've noticed, however, that the Lychee wine is fermenting very, very slowly in comparison to the other ones (banana, apple, peach, pear etc.). I used the same type of yeast in the Lychee, the banana and the peach (Lalvin EC1118, all the packs were from the same batch number etc.) and the musts are all the same SG, same pH, same amount of nutrients, vit b tablet, temperature etc. and all are fermenting at more or less the same speed, except the Lychee, which is very slow. It is fermenting and giving off carbon dioxide, with no nasty smells or anything obviously wrong, just painfully slow in comparison to the others.

Anyone else had this with lychee, or got any suggestions/comments?

Incidentally, at the moment, Aldi have tinned lychees even cheaper than Lidl.

Thanks

Greg

Comment

• Only got 2 bottles left of the original batch great stuff will start another batch this weekend

Comment

• Lychees 63p per tin at Aldi

(bought 10 tins!)
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• 53p Tesco actually think they might have been 46p can.t find reciept the great Lychee bargain hunt lol .

47p 425g in light syrup bought Friday Tesco own brand

I take it this wine takes longer than No1 + 2 to finish fermenting? How long roughly many thanks.

And has anyone trlied with red grape juice ? would this make a kind of blush/rose wine?
                        Last edited by plonky; 23-02-2009, 05:18 AM. Reason: spleeing

Comment

• In my experience Lychee takes no longer than Wine No.1. There is a little more work to do to make it, but the time between starting and bottling has been the same.

Mine normally take about 7 weeks, and I found the Lychee was perfectly drinkable at the time of bottling.

I'm not sure if the flavour of the red grape juice would sit well with lychees. If you try it, let us know the result
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• My advice regarding lychee wine is to make it exactly as per the recipe the first time you make it. Make any alterations to the recipe in future batches, this will give you a good idea of what exactly happens when you start tinkering with the recipe. I apply this to any wine I make.

Comment

• I actually have a wine no1 with red grape juice and a tin of lychee it is about halfway through fermenting it is very very cloudy at the moment this looks like it will take quite a bit longer than most to clear i don't use finings but i may have to on this one i also can't remember if i put any pectolase in looks like i may have some fun with this one. will let you know how it turns out

Comment

• Lychee tins at 43p Tesco in Pontypool this afternoon. Weren't these 90p or so not so long back?

Might stock up so I can make another batch

Comment

Working...
                                X