• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wisp
    replied
    Oh thanks for your input, yes I meant sorbate

The wine came out at 15 %

Taken your advice on the pectolase, damn it's good to learn.

My starting sg was 1.092

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it, and any more clues would be gratefully accepted.

I don't understand the yeast bit though. I followed the instructions on the pack, it said 1 tsp per gallon. I have used Ritchies yeast before and they said 2 tsp per 5 gallon. I'm not very good on the yeast side of things; but then again I'm still learning.

You say it didn't have the meat for a 16% wine, well it didn't reach that. I have tried numerous formulae, and the end results have been ranging between 16.34% and 14.57%.

I really would be gratefull for more input. If I can improve this wine next time, I am the one who gains.

With thanks.

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    Originally posted by wisp View Post
    The ingredients are listed for 5 gallons.

6 kilo tinned pineapple chunks ( I used 2 catering tins from Makro (about £2 per tin))
    1/2 jug of tea (using 2 teabags)
    2 litres of Sunpride Exotic Fruit Juice (about £2 for 12 litres at Makro)
    2 litres red grape juice
    1 litre white grape juice
    2 litres apple juice
    4.4 kilos of sugar
    4 tsp citric acid
    5 B1 tablets
    5 tsp yeast nutrient
    2 tsp pectolase (MAKE THIS 5 TO BE SAFE)
    5 tsp yeast compound....ONLY 1 TSP REQD

I used a 2 gallon food grade bucket to mash the pineapple several times over a number of days - stirring each day to avoid 'dry cap'.

Filter pineapple juice into 5 gallon bucket when you've extracted all of the juice that you can. Add tea and grape juices. Leave to rest for a few hours then add the remaining ingredients and top up with cold water to five gallons.

Take hydrometer reading then add yeast. Seal and add an air lock. Rack appropriately and when ready use:

5 grams Potassium Sulphate (I THINK YOU MEAN POTASSIUM SORBATE)
    5 crushed campden tablets. Stir, then leave to rest. Rack appropriately.

My first recipe post so plse be gentle with me .

Hope you enjoy.
    looks pretty good though, except it should read sugar to 1.080 otherwise I believe you are making wine that is around 16% alcohol by volume, and this wine doesnt have the meat to carry that kind of alcohol.

but a great first recipe post....

Leave a comment:

• wisp
    started a topic Pineapple Blush

Pineapple Blush

Just thought I'd share a recipe for a wine I made which, I believe, tastes absolutely delicious. Be careful, though, a couple of bottles and you can re-brand it 'loopy juice'

It was an experiment that worked for me. It tastes lovely and fruity the day it is bottled and the red grape juice gives it a really nice 'blush' - not rose - and it ages well too; taming down the older it becomes but still maintaining a taste that is smooth and leaves a similar feeling, on the back of your throat, that some people get after eating good quality ice cream

The ingredients are listed for 5 gallons.

6 kilo tinned pineapple chunks ( I used 2 catering tins from Makro (about £2 per tin))
    1/2 jug of tea (using 2 teabags)
    2 litres of Sunpride Exotic Fruit Juice (about £2 for 12 litres at Makro)
    2 litres red grape juice
    1 litre white grape juice
    2 litres apple juice
    4.4 kilos of sugar
    4 tsp citric acid
    5 B1 tablets
    5 tsp yeast nutrient
    2 tsp pectolase
    5 tsp yeast compound.

I used a 2 gallon food grade bucket to mash the pineapple several times over a number of days - stirring each day to avoid 'dry cap'.

Filter pineapple juice into 5 gallon bucket when you've extracted all of the juice that you can. Add tea and grape juices. Leave to rest for a few hours then add the remaining ingredients and top up with cold water to five gallons.

Take hydrometer reading then add yeast. Seal and add an air lock. Rack appropriately and when ready use:

5 grams Potassium Sulphate
    5 crushed campden tablets. Stir, then leave to rest. Rack appropriately.

My first recipe post so plse be gentle with me .

Hope you enjoy.
Working...
X