Ribena Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
    I dunno!! What goes well with ribena? Jam butties? Gummy bears?
    Maybe a few mincemeat tarts. mmmmm
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

ribena >? how much

hiya iam still new to wine making just restarting after a long lay off but i remember making 5 gal of ribena it was a bit like a port i think i used 2 2ltr bottles and 8 pound of sugar does that sound about right to you or have i got the amount of ribena wrong would appriciate advice and yes i always make everything in 5 gal containers then change to dj s later thank you i hope to get a reply soon

Comment

Try to forget about adding sugar by weight and use a hydrometer instead. You need enough sugar in the must to give a reading of 1.080 - 1.090.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Greetings Runningbear7, welcome to the forum.

I have made lots of batches of Ribena wine and they've all come out scrummy. You're right about its being like port. I have a 3 year old bottle on the go at the moment and its matured into a really nice drink. You've reminded me I need to get some more started
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

ribena reply

so is 4 lts of ribena and 8 lb of sugar going to work in a 5 gal mix

Comment

8 lb sugar seems a bit excessive TBH as the Ribena itself is very syrupy. Your best bet is to take Richard S's advice and use your hydrometer and add only enough sugar to 1080-90. If the yeast will take it you can always add more later if necessary.
              Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                8 lb sugar seems a bit excessive TBH as the Ribena itself is very syrupy. Your best bet is to take Richard S's advice and use your hydrometer and add only enough sugar to 1080-90. If the yeast will take it you can always add more later if necessary.
                Jan' spot on there RB7, if you used a champagne or other high alcohol yeast, then making it initially to the 1080/1090 level would use up the sugar reasonably quickly, and you can then add a little more, bit by bit until the gravity stops moving down.

Yes, it does take careful monitoring with your hydrometer, yes, some high alcohol wines taste foul (the term "alcohol hot" comes to mind) but that usually ages out of the wine.

So it depends on whether you want something that can be drunk reasonably quickly or whether you're happy to make a batch strong/higher % ABV and then age it for a good while.......

Entirely up to you matey.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Sorry to raise this tgread from the dead but i have a few questions

I'm trying to make some ribena wine using the same instructions I got out of my fathers old wine making book (same as the bery one on the origonal post) as I remember helping him make it maybe 15-20 years ago and how easy and delicious it was however I am a little confused about one point.

The book I have says I should make up the must (syrup?) then add the yeast and nutrients and leave open topped for the first 7-10 days for oxygen to get at the mix and try to keep it between 21 and 24 degrees, then put the air lock in and leave it for the remainder of the fermentation period (upto 2 months) keep it between 15 and 20 degrees and rack if needed at the end.

however a book i have got from the library says put the airlock in strait away and keep it between 15 and 20 the entire time. is this because things (yeast etc) have changed in the 20 years?

Also is it safe to keep the fermenting demijohn in the window to get the heat? my wife likes to keep the house cold and i've spent the last few weeks moving a thermomitor around the house and no room or cupbord stays over 17 degrees, however the back window sill will (depending on the sun may get as high as 20)

Comment

the basic idea goes that in air/oxygen yeast produces more yeast, whilst in a oxyegen /air free zone ie full of co2 in a demijohn it produces alcohol.

your right the old yeasts did need to have a few days in a bucket so it was easy to give it a right old rousting with the wooden spoon to get the air back into the liquid and then put the lid back onto the bucket for the morning. even now i still use a fish tank air bubbler in certain recipes or when trying out demijohn experiements.

the warmer temp was also to help the yeast multiply as well.

yes you are right modern yeasts have greatly increased in how and why the behave and you could proberly cut the times down

for me i still shove every thing in a bucket and roust it several times to realy make sure every thing is well aired, as for the temps , i have no idea as i can only have demijonhs in three spots in the house and all at by radiators, if i want a cool spot the have to go to the allotment shed in the winter time

and i almost forgot, dont forget that unlike the majority here, i dont use kits, so as i am dealing with raw ingreadiants its easier and better to be able to play with it in a bucket, rather than out of some thing with know fixed valuves, my stuff is always all over the place
                    Last edited by hedgerow; 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM. Reason: forgot the spelling
                    Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

thnx for info

So if i leave it open for a day or three then seal it up it should work nice. And its going to have to live by the radiator in my daughters room as thats the only one on all the time will wrap it up and move it elsewhere after sealing it up and try and fine a wine heater in the mean time

Comment

I'd take the second approach and put the airlock in straight away. There will be plenty of dissolved oxygen in the must for the yeast to multiply - not to mention that a teaspoon/ sachet these days is probably enough yeast for 5 gallon let alone one.

The most important thing with Ribena wine in my view is the gentle simmering of the syrup to remove the preservatives which would inhibit fermentation AND buying full sugar Ribena rather than the diet stuff.

Enjoy it! I made some nearly a year ago and haven't got round to opening it yet!

Comment

Hi Morty, and welcome to the forum.

I have made this wine countless times and have never put in to a bucket, it always goes straight into a DJ. (unless I'm doing a 5 gallon run, but that's only for volume)

If you put it into your daughter's room don't let it touch the radiator. Ambient temprature will be fine.

Hope this helps and let us know how it gets on.
                          Let's party

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replys! i have gone with the second option and stuck the airlock in now as I left the must overnight to cool. I simmered it for a good 15-20 min to make sure everything was boiled off. really enjoyed making it, allready thinking of going out and getting a few more demijohns to make an elderflower wine for summer spritzers by the BBQ and a mead for winter! will let you know how the ribena wine turns out in a few months when i bottle it

Comment

another n00b question

how long should it take for fermentation to begin? The yeast etc has been in the must for about 3 hours now and no sign of any bubbles in the airlock

Comment

Hi there

yeast kicking in depends on many variables....

ie type of yeast, how much sugar is present etc etc

you are always better off using a yeast starter...see tutorial section for details

careful with these old recipes, some of them are very sugar heavy, best to have your starting SG at or below 1.090.

Fermentation should begin in the first 24 hours

its ok to allow oxygen into the must for the first few days, but then get it under airlock

and welcome aboard!

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X