No announcement yet.

Ribena Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you able to check the gravity at the start? 60 ounces of sugar per gallon to start with should give you an sg of over 1.140. If you were able to ferment to dry this would give you port strength wine without any fortifying! Your wine has done very well to get to 1.080 after a month (which is where most wines start) but with the yeast you used I think it may be struggling. I have had variable results with Youngs and would not use again. At the moment your wine will be undrinkably sweet (try a sip now and see what I mean, not good) Personally, I think I would add more nutrient after giving it a really good shake. If you have not already done so then top up with cooled boiled water. This will introduce some food to your flagging yeasties and release some stored carbon dioxide which may kick start the yeast. Take great care though, your wine may foam a lot when shaken. Then it is a case of watching the old bubbles through the airlock and regular checks with your hydrometer. If the wine sticks at too high SG then you have options to either make it a two gallon brew or use a high alcohol yeast to try and restart it (or maybe even both) Either way with a bit of perseverance and patience you should still end up with a drinkable brew. Good luck.
    Last edited by Original Mac; 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Originally posted by Original Mac View Post
      Were you able to check the gravity at the start? 60 ounces of sugar per gallon to start with should give you an sg of over 1.140. If you were able to ferment to dry this would give you port strength wine without any fortifying! Your wine has done very well to get to 1.080 after a month (which is where most wines start) but with the yeast you used I think it may be struggling. I have had variable results with Youngs and would not use again. At the moment your wine will be undrinkably sweet (try a sip now and see what I mean, not good) Personally, I think I would add more nutrient after giving it a really good shake. If you have not already done so then top up with cooled boiled water. This will introduce some food to your flagging yeasties and release some stored carbon dioxide which may kick start the yeast. Take great care though, your wine may foam a lot when shaken. Then it is a case of watching the old bubbles through the airlock and regular checks with your hydrometer. If the wine sticks at too high SG then you have options to either make it a two gallon brew or use a high alcohol yeast to try and restart it (or maybe even both) Either way with a bit of perseverance and patience you should still end up with a drinkable brew. Good luck.
      So you are saying i should rack it? and add more nutrient? worth a shot. will do this in a few days as i have broken my hand and am unable to do much of anything atm

Comment

So you are saying i should rack it? and add more nutrient? worth a shot. will do this in a few days as i have broken my hand and am unable to do much of anything atm
        Not having much luck at the moment are you You should not have a lot of sediment but racking should do no harm to the ferment. It may appear to stop for a day or two but that is normal. As shaking is out of the question at the moment I would rack into a at least a 10 litre brewing bucket and give it an energetic stir. Best put bucket in the bath to avoid any foamy accidents and swmbo rage (been there done that). If you dont have a bucket or a handy 5 litre water bottle then simply get hold of an empty 2 litre pop bottle and sterilise. fill to approx one and a half litres, and in your case get a mate to give it a good shaking. Repeat with the remaining contents of the demijohn. When the foam dies down add nutrient to demijohn, shake to mix up then add bottle back to demijohn and gently shake to mix up.

Definitely worth getting a couple of cheap 5 litre water bottles. The water is better for making wine and you can keep the empty bottle sweet by adding 5-7 sprays of 10% sodium metabisulphite solution. When you need it simply rinse and use You can even use them as demijohns with a bit of adaption.
        Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Originally posted by Original Mac View Post
          Not having much luck at the moment are you You should not have a lot of sediment but racking should do no harm to the ferment. It may appear to stop for a day or two but that is normal. As shaking is out of the question at the moment I would rack into a at least a 10 litre brewing bucket and give it an energetic stir. Best put bucket in the bath to avoid any foamy accidents and swmbo rage (been there done that). If you dont have a bucket or a handy 5 litre water bottle then simply get hold of an empty 2 litre pop bottle and sterilise. fill to approx one and a half litres, and in your case get a mate to give it a good shaking. Repeat with the remaining contents of the demijohn. When the foam dies down add nutrient to demijohn, shake to mix up then add bottle back to demijohn and gently shake to mix up.

Definitely worth getting a couple of cheap 5 litre water bottles. The water is better for making wine and you can keep the empty bottle sweet by adding 5-7 sprays of 10% sodium metabisulphite solution. When you need it simply rinse and use You can even use them as demijohns with a bit of adaption.
          Shaken, neutrients added, no improvment. how do i change this into a 2 gallon brew then? get another demijohn, poor the contents into a bucket, add cooled boiled water to make it up to 2 gallons. then what? more yeast and neutriants to get it going again?

Comment

Follow the procedures for stuck ferments here:

Again many thanks to Pat Cuthbert (moderator Winepress.US and all round good guy!) Every once in a while the unexpected will happen, and fermentation will stall or stick. It is frustrating when it does as it throws our plans off track. There are several reasons why a fermentation will stick, and if you are watching for

I suspect the alcohol level in your current must will be too high to allow it to fire up even with a new yeast.

Following the tutorial, and doubling up as directed is the likeliest way to get the ferment finished

hope that helps

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Rinena Wine

Im a newbie to wine making.
              Ive just had a bash at the CJJ Berry recipe. (17th July 2011 ) I tweaked it though! As people have mentioned the 375ml (12 Fl oz )of ribena to 1 gallon doesnt seem much at all!!
              I thought well if it tastes weak to start it's not gonna be much good when complete! So I made a dilution to my taste and noted the ratio of water to concentrate then made this up to 1 gallon with water. I tested the SG first in the diluted ribena, then added sugar to reach 90 for a dry wine so should finish at 9 (1090-0009) deleting the initial 1! as it says in the books!!
              I think I had to add about 2lb sugar to reach this. Ribena has a huge amount of sugar already in it, so measure first then keep adding sugar to the level required. I added citric acid,yeast nutrient and yeast.
              Its been fermenting away for a few days and smells fab!! I used 1 gallon DJ of strawberry and 1 gallon DJ of Blackurrant. The coulour is very nice indeed not too dark or light. I will rack first when it starts to settle then ferment again then rack again. I do hope its nice i will be very dissapointed if its not.
              : I am so excited but need to be patient for it to be ready to drink.

Dont kow how long it will take to be ready to drink. Any Ideas of this???????
              thanks Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cairno View Post
                Im a newbie to wine making.
                Ive just had a bash at the CJJ Berry recipe. (17th July 2011 ) I tweaked it though! As people have mentioned the 375ml (12 Fl oz )of ribena to 1 gallon doesnt seem much at all!!
                I thought well if it tastes weak to start it's not gonna be much good when complete! So I made a dilution to my taste and noted the ratio of water to concentrate then made this up to 1 gallon with water. I tested the SG first in the diluted ribena, then added sugar to reach 90 for a dry wine so should finish at 9 (1090-0009) deleting the initial 1! as it says in the books!!
                I think I had to add about 2lb sugar to reach this. Ribena has a huge amount of sugar already in it, so measure first then keep adding sugar to the level required. I added citric acid,yeast nutrient and yeast.
                Its been fermenting away for a few days and smells fab!! I used 1 gallon DJ of strawberry and 1 gallon DJ of Blackurrant. The coulour is very nice indeed not too dark or light. I will rack first when it starts to settle then ferment again then rack again. I do hope its nice i will be very dissapointed if its not.
                : I am so excited but need to be patient for it to be ready to drink.

Dont kow how long it will take to be ready to drink. Any Ideas of this???????
                thanks Lisa
                Let me know how you get on with this. My ribena wine never goes dry always stays hideously sweet

Comment

Do You check the SG first before adding any sugar because ribena is has so much sugar in it aleady!
                  What was you reading at the beginning?

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cairno View Post
                    Do You check the SG first before adding any sugar because ribena is has so much sugar in it aleady!
                    What was you reading at the beginning?
                    Always around 1070, The last two batches I've ended up using to sweeten dry wines.

Comment

To Be fair I was a bit concerned about the same happening to mine!
                      but i have followed the reading guide on the hydrometer! Mine has obviously the number gage on but also a guide block for starting and then when to bottle the wine. its only been a week for mine but its bubbling away so hopefully the fermentation will continue for at least a couple of months.
                      Maybe you needed to spark up the fermentation again so as to use up more sugar? I have read that the guide for SG start reading is on the assumption that all the added sugar is used up ie turns to alchohol, and that if the fermentation stops premeturely this will not happen therefore sweet wine is created. There is a recipe for a 1/2 pint re-starter to reboot fermentation.
                      Juice of 3 oranges, water 1 level dessertspoon sugar, yeast and a pinch of nutrient, get this started and add to this 1/2 pint of the said wine. (CJJ berry)
                      I also read you can always add less sugar at the start chck the SG as you go along for the alchohol percentage and keep adding sugar till it reaches this. That way the sugar is evedently used up and you can reach the alchohol level needed !!!
                      I suppsoe this is logical really you can allways add but not take away!!!!
                      Its only my first batch but i can imagine the dissapointment i would have!!!
                      I do preferr dry wines.
                      How long did you ferment for before bottling? and when did you do your first rack?

I am enjoying the experimentaion my husband says i look like a mad scientist !!!!
                      Thanks

Lisa

Comment

Hi How long did the whole process take before you could drink it??
                        thanks

Comment

at what temp should i add the yeast ?? i think i killed it last time

Comment

Originally posted by tuppence View Post
                            at what temp should i add the yeast ?? i think i killed it last time
                            Aim for 18 - 24c. The yeast will generally start dying above 30c.
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Lidl blackcurrent is 50% b/current juice.......

Lidl royal orchard blackcurrent is 50% b/current juice....... has i believe more fruit juice in it than ribena

Comment

Hi guys and gals, really wanna try this wine after reading in the CJJ Berry book. Just one question though, how many mls is 12oz?! The only bottles i see are 1L in the supermarket...were 12oz bottles a 60's thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X