Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just opened 2008 elderberry was very poor after 6 months, after 30 months is very nice, luckily have 10 gallon. will try and keep some for longer see if it improves.
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• 2009 WineExpert Ltd Edition Riesling. Nothing special yet - I'll wait a little longer before trying again.

2008 Magnum+ (cheap kit grape skins) - perfectly decent quaffing fluid.

A glass of Coffee Rum Liqueur (from a Condessa kit) - not my first choice of drink, but really very nice
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Tonight, we've had a Winexpert Pacific Quartet with Fish & Chips very yummy.

The Mother in law only drinks red, so I opened her a bottle of WE Italian Brunello. Last opened one of these in October when it was announced they are doing this again next year, it tasted very acid back then. Today it tastes lovely. Rethinking next years order now (maybe to add another of these to it!)

Comment

• Went to a wine bar today and tried some different things. Had a nice northern California Chardonnay. Pretty decent I must say, and I'm no big fan of Cali Chards.

This was followed by a very disappointing Pinot Grigio (the waitress said it was popular among their customers).

After that, had a glass of Malbec, also from California, that was really quite tasty.

We're home now, and I'm having a glass of something called "Chocovine" from the Netherlands. We were given this as a Christmas gift. It's a chocolate and red wine blend that tastes a little like weak Irish cream. Not bad, but I'm thinking it would be better if it were in a cup of coffee.
          Steve

Comment

• Ginger wine 1991 (yes nineteen ninety one!!!!) and cherry wine (similar vintage - wow i like saying that!)

both brewed by one of the folk that lives in our street, she is in her 80's and has been vegan most of her life - how about that for pioneering! Neither have had the wealth of treatment with chemicals that we are used to these days. no campden, sorbate etc, and i very much suspect the same goes for acids, enzymes, nutrients etc. And i also strongly suspect that bread yeast may have been used (fuzzy memory of talking about brewing with her).

Both bottles are open and probably have been for some time. Storage has been in a room with no heating, a couple of outside walls and a big bay window. Walls are solid brick, not cavity.

the important part now, taste .... delicious, rounded, full of body and sherry/port like, if i was aiming for a sherry with anything as the base then i would be delighted with these results, tho i can't imagine having any laying about for a couple of decades to find out! The cherry is the better of the two, the ginger is a little medicinal but that doesn't ruin it for me. Neither has a taste of the original fruit/root, tho my better half tried another ginger wine at her place that does taste of ginger. There are some little grains of sediment in the bottom of the cherry bottle, and a fine layer of sediment in the ginger wine.

i feel honoured and priviledged, and have a nice warm feeling in my tummy and i would much rather have had one of thse bottles than the 'late bottled' port we got from the supermarket (tho that is nice too!).

sorry for rambling on, but its not often that such a thing happens here!
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Today would have been my daughter's 25th birthday, unfortunately she's not with us now. We have, however, had a family gathering and angel cake. We've had some apple wine and I've had some scotch and ginger - bells toboot.

The scotch has been warm and the apple wine has been friendly. Thanks WAH for your tips and advice, they came into play today; a very important day in the wisp household. I raise a glass to you all.
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
                Today would have been my daughter's 25th birthday, unfortunately she's not with us now. We have, however, had a family gathering and angel cake. We've had some apple wine and I've had some scotch and ginger - bells toboot.

The scotch has been warm and the apple wine has been friendly. Thanks WAH for your tips and advice, they came into play today; a very important day in the wisp household. I raise a glass to you all.
                sitting here just before going to bed, with a last bit of cherry wine in my glass to finish, raising it to you and yours
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Tea was all that passed my lips last night (and the night before too)

Back to work for the first time in 2010 this morning, my extended Xmas break is over

needed to flush my system of all the alcohol I drank over the festive period.....

Also started on weight watchers again, so trying to be good
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Winexpert Woodbridge Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon for me tonight. It is about a year old and is already showing promise, very fruity in a sort of black currant way, big tannins and a mild peppery finish, mmmmmm
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                      sitting here just before going to bed, with a last bit of cherry wine in my glass to finish, raising it to you and yours

Thank you
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Beaverdal Sauv Blanc last night......its a year old now, and was hoping it would have matured into something a little better....but still decent enough.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Not 'tonight' but 'this afternoon' - drinking the bottles I received from the Wine Swap.
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• no booze tonight ... sleeping tablets are my cocktail this evening
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

• Ginger beer and lime
                              Just Bob, bob, bobbing along!

Comment

• sister visiting so she got the choice of the celler and it was last years elderflower, went down very well. followed by a cheapskate rose (last but one bottle) went down well, mostly with me cos she has an interview tomorrrow and i have nothing pressing. but tomorrow she can let her hair down. it may be the last of the wines she drinks before she tries those heavily influenced by WaH in terms of balance etc. so into the the abyss we dive and here is hoping!

Comment

Working...
                                X