This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently drinking

Grappa - with orange peel added, shaken daily for a week then sweetened with sugar syrup.... very like cointreau, yummy
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• Originally posted by ukric View Post
      Currently drinking

Grappa - with orange peel added, shaken daily for a week then sweetened with sugar syrup.... very like cointreau, yummy
      If you have produced a wine that will make mrs.wisp think she is drinking cointreau, please send me the recipe in 72 point font. I need to save a couple of bob!

“Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Ahhh no not wine. You need the spirit to start off with, dunno if it would work as well with vodka, maybe. It so happened that I had half a bottle of grappa, which normally I find undrinkable but with a few tweaks it becomes very nice, the only thing is the ABV will reduce.

Comment

• yep done a few lychee from fruit think we prefer from the rubicon juice
          http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
          http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by ukric View Post
            Ahhh no not wine. You need the spirit to start off with, dunno if it would work as well with vodka, maybe. It so happened that I had half a bottle of grappa, which normally I find undrinkable but with a few tweaks it becomes very nice, the only thing is the ABV will reduce.
            I'm showing my ignorance yet again ... what is grappa?
            Groucho Marx

Comment

• fermented pomace from the production of grape wine.

Comment

• cheers
                Groucho Marx

Comment

• In my experience, Grappa is described accurately here:
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
                    If you have produced a wine that will make mrs.wisp think she is drinking cointreau, please send me the recipe in 72 point font. I need to save a couple of bob!

if you follow CJJB's recipe for orange wine then you'll end up with wine that is sweet, strong! orangey and with an oily like feel (from the amount of zest used i suspect) similar to a liquer. its definately not cointreau, and wouldn't fool anyone, but its a big step towards it from most wines. Very good chilled and great for sipping. Clears quickly and easily on its own, ready to drink soon after but does get better with time. Making the wine is quite labour intensive tho.
                    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      In my experience, Grappa is described accurately here:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Gal...Gargle_Blaster
                      A Zaphod Beeblebrox special

Thanks ms67 and OB

I've decided she can have a chocolate orange instead
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

• A bog-standard Wine No.1, bottled late Jan. Probably the best plain batch I have ever made - really fresh and clean.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Tonight........a 2008 Oulins gage wine, sweetened to around 1.004

not bad, but a tad "Plummy"
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Plenty. Me and Mrs. G celebrated out 20th wedding anniversary tonight (I don't feel as old as that, surely) with a Chinese takeaway with the neighbours (THOSE neighbours, Rich ).

Amongst the commercial Chardonnays and sparkly things we tried a bit of post-bottling apple (not bad but needs some time to settle down) and a half-bottle of WineExpert Riesling Icewine - very nice, and will get nicer over time.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Happy anniversary to both yourself and Mrs G
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                                Plenty. Me and Mrs. G celebrated out 20th wedding anniversary tonight (I don't feel as old as that, surely) with a Chinese takeaway with the neighbours (THOSE neighbours, Rich ).

Happy anniversary! Sounds a fun night tasting all that

Drinking Boddingtons this evening, having spent the evening servicing my car and a classic tractor, (a 1952 Fergsuson T20 diesel) very easy to work on. It now has oil pressure!) and assisting to put up a fence. Beer is well deserved

Comment

Working...
                                X