Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That reminds me - must pack some painkillers.

Today, more GF prep: cleaning and sulphiting fermenters, digging out plastic sheets for the car seats, making sure the fermenters actually fit in the car, testing the temperature controller, sorting out wine for GF, and so on.

Tomorrow: bottling.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      Tomorrow: bottling.
      Didn't happen - too much else to do.

GF box packed - mainly sulphite

Disgorged two bottles of sparkling elderflower. I have to say that bottle fermentation using 29mm crown caps + underbungs makes the process so much more straightforward than using normal stoppers + wire cages. I'd almost given up on sparkly because of the general faffing, mess, and ultimate disappointment when disgorging, but I was quite chuffed this time
      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Decided not to make my yeast starters tonight, but rather wait until I get home with the grapes on Sunday afternoon.

No musts will be warm enough to pitch yeast until Monday midday-ish, so that should give the starters 24 hours to get going. I fear that leaving them unattended from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon will not do them any good.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Tasting, bottling, labelling. Looks like I might have a few bottles to do a swap with

I was going to get my yeast starters started Friday afternoon ready to pitch on Sunday afternoon but now I'm unsure after Petes post above. anyone care to comment on viability?

Rob

Comment

• My alternative view is that my yeast starters are now going. Using a litre of grape juice in each, a little bit of sugar, some nutrient. This should increase the cell count and make some healthy yeast. When they have finished consuming the sugar the yeast will still be there hungry for some more.

My grapes will more than likely be warm enough, after spending Sat night in buckets in the car, then a 7 or 8 hour road trip. If not, I'll hook them up to a heater belt and temp sensor when I return on Sunday evening.

Comment

• Fait point Rich. If GF was one day shorter, or if I had someone at home to build the starters up I'd probably do the same. Too late now - leaving in a couple of hours
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Right, I shall get my starters going this morning

Comment

• Starters??? Duffbeer method...

Open yeast, sprinkle on must, put lid back on, find something else to do....
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                    Starters??? Duffbeer method...

'sprinkle' 'something else' Sorry who this ?
                    (Thinks: Better email Karl and let him know someone has stolen his login !)
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                      Starters??? Duffbeer method...

Ha ha, love it.

Comment

• Lots of different ways to do it...you will find out on Sat that we all have differing methods.

If it works for you, then more power to you, there is no definitive method, and unlike Mead makers, wine and beer makers don't want to tar and feather those who do it a different way, or disagree with them.

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I think this short clip bares some similarity to what is happening in my winery today.......

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• it could be worse, you could be parked outside Bob's, wondering where Bob is.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post

it could be worse, you could be parked outside Bob's, wondering where Bob is.
                              LOL!!! I've just arrived at the hotel and checked in.....are we all meeting at Bob's or at the Rushee?
                              "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Your choice Dave. Quicker to walk from there to thecurry house, but there are a few at Bob's now
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X