Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started a Selection Pinot Noir this evening, it has sat in the cupboard unopened since last July.

Hi ToulouseLePlot. I'm a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc and New Zealand Sav Blanc in particular so I have been rather keen on getting hold of a Selection Estate Marlborough Sav Blanc. I have read good things about this kit and really looking forward to drinking it. I was a little tardy in getting it out of the primary but it is still producing bubbles at a good rate and should ferment to dry.

How long would you say it needs to age to get the best out of it?

Rob

Comment

• I now follow a rule of 6 months for the NZ. Pingo I think can be started after 3 and as you get to 6 I think you can say it tastes even better, but it's nice all the way along. But the SauvBl, espescially the NZ really needs 6 in my humble. My notes from my first attempt at this after 3 months were "disappointing - probably needs another 3 months", 4 months later I was impressed and went back to say how great it was. I very much like the straight SauvBl (Original) and that too improves quite a lot for the longer wait.
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
      Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• Bottled a wine number one. Racked and stabilised three Beaverdale kits a Pinot a Rioja and a White Burgundy degassing them ready for fining. Bottled the German Muller-Thurgau looking nice with some Selections labels I got from my HBS and bottled a Cal-Con Pinot. Started a wine number one with E1118 and 25 gm of dried elderflowers and started a Kenridge Argentinean Torrontes Chardonnay came with very nice labels. Need to source some lime green shrinks to match these.
        Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
          Bottled a wine number one. Racked and stabilised three Beaverdale kits a Pinot a Rioja and a White Burgundy degassing them ready for fining. Bottled the German Muller-Thurgau looking nice with some Selections labels I got from my HBS and bottled a Cal-Con Pinot. Started a wine number one with E1118 and 25 gm of dried elderflowers and started a Kenridge Argentinean Torrontes Chardonnay came with very nice labels. Need to source some lime green shrinks to match these.
          Just when I was feeling good about an afternoon removing labels !! Busy, busy

Quote. Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!
          Now that is worrying and I'm Scottish, lol

PS, thinking of doing the Rioja for my next batch

Alan

Comment

• Beaverdale Barolo racked to secondary at 1.010, it likes it new home -)

Alan

Comment

• just bottled off some 2009 Monty - make with 1116, really has come out nice. I think this one will make sons wedding wine.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Racked and stabilised the Beaverdale Merlot with added GF2011 skins tonight. A great way to improve a cheap kit IMO. Also stabilised, degassed and fined a Selection New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. SG down to .992 so lovely and dry,yum yum.

Comment

• How do you get to 0.992? The last 3 I've done are .994, .995, .994 - I would like to squeeze an extra bit of dryness in there if I could. I follow the instructions and use only the ingredients in the box. If there is a special tip please let me know...
                  Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                  Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• No special tip. I just followed the instructions to the letter and used a brew belt to maintain a constant temperature. There could be a small difference between our hydrometers which could account for a .001/.002 difference.

Comment

• The difference between .992 and .994 is very small, and IMO is not worth worrying about. There are a couple of reasons for differnt readings from the same wine. As tipsy suggested, there could be a small difference between the hydrometers. One hydrometer may not be calibrated properly. A few degrees temperature difference will make a small difference in the sg reading. Some hydrometers are calibrated at 68F, some at 60F. Plus there may be a difference in the way that different wine makers take their hydrometer readings. For me, RJ Spagnols kits finish around .995, while Vineco and Winexpert kits finish around .992. So the kit/wine makes a difference.

For the record, I use a Fermtech Wine Thief to take sg readings. My wines are nearly always about 24C/74F. My hydrometers are calibrated at 68F, and I never modify the sg readings for the difference in temperature.

Steve
                      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

• Started a Beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc kit tonight with an idea of adding some gooseberries as a late addition. Has anyone tried this yet?

Comment

• Not tried it in a kit, but a wine #1 with gooseberries in late is super.

Comment

• What sort of quantity would you suggest per gallon Rich?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              Not tried it in a kit, but a wine #1 with gooseberries in late is super.
                              woud you sulphite/pasteurise the fruit in any way before addition?

Comment

• I usually freeze the fruit first. To defrost, I would add a small amount of boiling water, pectolase or rohapect vrc, sulphite and then leave for 24 hours prior to adding to the must.

Comment

Working...
                                X