Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racked Grenache Rose into Djs to get it under airlock. It's quite dark for a Rose, it's very dark. Simon was right about this batch of Grenache.

Comment

• Racked and filtered dry Dandelion sherry (fino style). Superb at 2.5 years old, smooth, very light and fresh but with a really gentle- barely perciptible oaky character and a hint of the original fruit (that would have been the dried apricots). Intend to bottle this week end.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• 2 gallons on the go
        I got 2lt of welch's juice Free
        ingredients for 1 gallon.
        1lt-welch's white grape,pear&apple juice.
        1lt-white grape juice.
        800g-white sugar.
        1tsp-yeast.
        1tsp-yeast nutrient
        water.

Comment

• Making a 'Richards Red'... 3l Red Grape Juice and a bottle of wilkos red grape concentrate...

Comment

• What's a Richard's red?

Comment

• Every year I make something I like to call "Calisota Cuvee". Basically, it's made from leftovers that aren't blended into something else. The 2011 blend is Barbera, Marquette, and Petite Sirah. Tomorrow I'm bottling it.

2011CalisotaLabel.jpg
              Steve

Comment

• Pressed the frozen Grenache tonight as the skins had well and truly sunk. Yield was 7 litres of Rose and 28 litres of Red from 2 x 25 litre drums.

Skins have been added to a cheap Cabernet-Merlot kit that had been lurking in a cupboard for a while. Hopefully it will have a bit more body than a straight 2nd run.

Great looking label Steve. Simple but effective. The wine sounds interesting too.
                Last edited by robwrx; 27-11-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Nice Label Steve. I always like classy labels but never manage to hit the mark myself. It doesn't help that I never label my own wine, just the stuff thats outbound.

I tend to do humour for parties..

classy cat.jpg

moulot Rouge.jpg
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 27-11-2012, 07:42 AM.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• LOL... I like it, Brian!
                    Steve

Comment

• Go to www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum
                      5th line down is Richards red discussion thread.

Comment

• I also have a couple of gals of Richards red on the go. i did one with 3l of aldi red grape and one with waitrose merlot juice, all other ingredients the same to see if the merlot would make a big difference. after reading on here that the merlot juice on its own makes a light red I thought with the concentrate addition it might give it enough body. The main reason for making the aldi one was to see the difference the waitrose juice made, a control if you will. it should at least give me a generic red i can you use for topping up

Tom
                        Last edited by Gardener Tom; 27-11-2012, 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling no matter how many time i read stuff

Comment

• Discovered a few problems with winemaking this time of the year. Mr Hoselock wouldn't play ball tonight and the fermenter needed heat from multiple sources to stay above 20c all week. Saw temperatures on top of the grape skin cap as low as 7c.

Managed to press skins on 2nd run despite temperature, amusing to see must steaming as it went through the press.

Comment

• Started 2 gallons of Elderberry&5 alive berries mix juice.
                            ingredients makes 2 gallons
                            1.5kg-ripe elderberries.
                            2lt-red grape juice.
                            1lt-5 alive berries mix juice drink.
                            1.6kg white sugar.
                            2tsp-yeast.
                            2tsp-nutrient.
                            water.
                            [b]Method put the elderberries in a pan with some water and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 min's
                            then strain and press to extract all the hot juice and dissolve half the sugar in the hot berry juice,then leave
                            to cool when cool divide all the ingredients into the DJs fit the airlocks and ferment for a week,then make some sugar syrup with the rest of the sugar and when cool divide into the DJs and top up to the neck with cold
                            tap water fit the airlocks and fully ferment out,when fermenting as stopped rack and mature for 12 months.

Comment

• ok so deep breathe...
                              this week i :
                              racked stabilised and added finings to my aldi cartoned juice red,
                              racked stabilised and added finings to my waitrose merlot red,
                              racked stabilised and added finings to a beaverdale chateau roi
                              stired my beaverdale muskadet
                              started a beaverdale pinot noir in a bucket with some strawberries and rasberries
                              racked and stabilised my pinot clone juice wine
                              racked and stabilised my pinot clone with added lime zest
                              racked and stabilised my pinot clone with added oak/vanilla
                              filtered my French market grape white.
                              started a mead/wine no.1 with an added persimen
                              and my latest project to make an aromatic white using
                              2 x squeezable orange blossom honey, a tin of lychees, 1l white grape, 1l pressed apple, 2x chai teabags(black pepper and cinnamon), 3 x rose tea bags

Tom

Comment

• I'm having a bit of a break racking my GF2012/frozen shiraz pyments at the moment.

Struggling like hell trying to remember which is which, as in my usual half ar5ed way have managed to mix them up......

Either way, apart from being surprised just how much yeast sediment has dropped out, I'm pleased as punch with them. Some has better/deeper colour, some is slightly more fruity flavour and some more tannin sort of taste.

Irrespective of that, even if I do just end up blending them all, right now I've got about 18 gallons of very pleasantness that in my tiny brain is among the best stuff I've ever produced.

I'm using 1 home made oak stave per gallon for the moment as that's something else I haven't done before.

But cobblers to all that........roll on GF 2013 !
                                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                                X