This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
    Always a bonus when you get an unexpected find!

Brian - On the racking - I hadn't racked since cold stabilisation and so didn't want the tartrate to redissolve. Mind you, not much chance of that at the moment!
    Simon,

I only rack twice. About October/November this is to get the mass sediment away after pressing. I press through a basket press with just a sieve (no bag) I then rack again March time to pick up the bitartrate crystals. The latest thinking suggests that it will not re-dissolve. but like you say it is that cold at the moment there is no chance anyway.

Hope that helps.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Spent some time today testing all my GF12 wines for PH and TA. Did a little bit of adjusting to the Rose to get a bit more acid in them as they have lost some during cold stabilisation. Really pleased with how the wines are coming along.

Comment

• Had a bottle of Brian's frozen GF12 merlot. Very good! One of the best wines I've made!
        Last edited by krakowmike; 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
          Spent some time today testing all my GF12 wines for PH and TA. Did a little bit of adjusting to the Rose to get a bit more acid in them as they have lost some during cold stabilisation. Really pleased with how the wines are coming along.
          What acid do you use for the rose?

Comment

• Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
            What acid do you use for the rose?
            I was going to add a bit of citric but didn't have any to hand so I used tartaric. I have since found my well hidden bag of citric acid and have another dj of rosé to adjust so I will compare the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
              I was going to add a bit of citric but didn't have any to hand so I used tartaric. I have since found my well hidden bag of citric acid and have another dj of rosé to adjust so I will compare the two.
              Tartaric is more rounded - citric also adds a bit of 'zing'
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Started 2 gallons of cheap banana & vanilla pod wine

ingredients for making two gallons.
                3kg-ripe Bananas.
                2lt-white grape juice.
                2kg-sugar.
                2 cups of strong black tea(no leaves or milk)
                1-vanilla pod.
                1tsp-pectic enzyme(per DJ)
                1tsp-ritchies wine yeast & nutrient(per DJ)
                water.
                Method: peel the bananas cut out any black bits then add to a large pan with water and bring to a simmer with the split vanilla pod for 10 min then strain and press the pulp using a very fine muslin bag then use the hot banana juice to dissolve half of the sugar,stir until the sugar as dissolved then leave to cool,when cool divide the
                ingredients into the DJ's fit the airlocks and ferment for one week,then make a sugar syrup with the rest of the sugar
                add to the DJ's when cool and top up with cold water to the neck of the DJ's fit the airlocks and fully ferment out
                when fermenting as stopped rack add finings when wine is clear rack again and mature for at least 6 months.
                Note: i mature for 12 months. :cheers:

Comment

• I have done 75 bottles of 2011 Gilligiolio. Really seeing the benefits of drinking older wine, much more rounded

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    I have done 75 bottles of 2011 Gilligiolio. Really seeing the benefits of drinking older wine, much more rounded
                    Pete brought along a bottle of 2009 Gilligiolio to Grapefest last year and that was a very well rounded and fruity but very smooth tasting wine that tasted absolutely fantastic.

I'm just beginning to realise the benefit of not bottling too early and resisting the temptation of drinking young.

Comment

• Started 2 gallons of cherry juice wine
                      1 Gallon recipe
                      ingredients
                      1lt-cherry juice.
                      1lt-red grape juice.
                      1kg-sugar.
                      1 cup of black tea(no leaves or bag)
                      1tsp ritchies yeast & nutrient.
                      water.
                      Method: use half the sugar to make some sugar syrup then leave to cool,then add the cherry juice & grape juice
                      with the cold black tea and sugar syrup to the DJ add the yeast then fit the airlock and leave to ferment for 1 week, then make some sugar syrup with the other half off sugar and add to the DJ when cool then top the DJ up with
                      cold tap water to the neck,fit the airlock and leave to fully ferment out.
                      when fermenting as stopped rack add finings leave for about 1 week to clear,then rack again and leave for at least
                      6 months to mature. :cheers:

Comment

• Very little, still. My 5 week job working away has turned into a 6 month job.

I have just looked in the cupboard and there are 5 unmade kits sitting there. I'd better manufacture some time.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Dug out my oak chips so I can oak my wines from GF2011. God willing they haven't gone off lol.
                          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                          -Police Squad

Comment

• Nice to see you back Koomber

Had a busy day topping up SO2 levels, bottled some more GF11 second run and some WE Pinot Noir followed by tonight I racked my GF12 Merlot and a cheap kit that I added some frozen skins to. The Merlot is incredibly tannic still, I don't think it will be drinkable for a while.

Comment

• I should be on my least-favourite winemaking job on Saturday - bottling. Winery is gridlocked at the moment, so I need to get about 10 gallons in bottles so I have room to store emptires, and Better Bottles for the unmade kits which are stacked up.
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                                I should be on my least-favourite winemaking job on Saturday - bottling. Winery is gridlocked at the moment, so I need to get about 10 gallons in bottles so I have room to store emptires, and Better Bottles for the unmade kits which are stacked up.
                                Least favourite Pete, might that be the washing-up?

The jet blasters are really really brilliant - I am still hunting down bottles to wash it such a good toy.
                                Remember when you first got your an Enolmatic - it's that good!!

Comment

Working...
                                X