• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing musical DJ's yesterday and today

racking all my country wines from July production

Comment

• Bog all.....again.......

Went to get the rhubarb out the freezer that was kindly donated by Bob and Martina, thinking that a week of freezing would be enough to follow Colins guidance on defrosting to recover the juice, only to find that I can't even get in my shed at the moment, because the bloody builders have put all the kitchen units in there.

Will have to move them to the greenhouse next weekend as there's a bloke who's on JBK who wants some of the remaining half gallon DJ's and they're right in the back of the shed.......

So all in all, I'll be able to set up the defrost/juicing of the rhubarb next weekend. If I can do half as well with it, as Pete did with his Rhubarb and Elderflower wine, I'll be pleased. Cos that Peter, was amazing.......

Especially given that Rhubarb can be a bit of a bugger when it comes to moving the flavour across the fermentation barrier.......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        there's a bloke who's on JBK who wants some of the remaining half gallon DJ's and they're right in the back of the shed.......
        There are still 40 - 50 of them here john if he lives nearer me
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          Especially given that Rhubarb can be a bit of a bugger when it comes to moving the flavour across the fermentation barrier.......
          Couple of things fatbloke..I love rhubarb wine, and you freeze yours the same as I do....but what's your recipe??? if you don't mind, I think it'll be an improvement on what I make.

Also what do you mean by "moving the flavour across the fermentation barrier?? is this something that I've missed out on??

Brian.

Comment

• Just got word that my Cab Sauvignon and Cab Franc grapes will arrive tomorrow on a refrigerated truck. Me and a couple of other guys chipped in together and bought a ton.

Can't wait!
            Steve

Comment

• How exciting!
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Indeed. GF Minnesota! Maybe next year.
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• You all are welcome of course. Plenty of room to pitch tents in the back yard. But the curry is not as good and, as Bob will attest, it can get a bit cold here.
                  Steve

Comment

• Its the lugging of the grape must back that presents the biggest problem.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Ah yes. Lol... there is that, too.
                      Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                        as Bob will attest, it can get a bit cold here.
                        indeedy

however the warmth of the welcome made up for it
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          There are still 40 - 50 of them here john if he lives nearer me
                          He came down from the Sevenoaks area, so definitely closer to me......

If you're short of space, just stick a ribbon bow on each one and given them as crimbo pressies to wine makers Bob
                          Originally posted by Technotrucker View Post
                          Couple of things fatbloke..I love rhubarb wine, and you freeze yours the same as I do....but what's your recipe??? if you don't mind, I think it'll be an improvement on what I make.

Also what do you mean by "moving the flavour across the fermentation barrier?? is this something that I've missed out on??

Brian.
                          Recipe ? What's one of those ?

Make it up as I go......

Gonna see how much juice I get when I can finally get at my kit, but the intention is to keep a pint ot so of juice in fridge, rest of juice and water with honey to about the 1.110 sort of area. Staggered nutrients, straight ferment using 71B.

Rack on completion, stabilise, top up with reserved juice, back sweeten (and maybe an inch or two of grated fresh ginger or even galangal if I can find some).

Then clear......

The fermentation barrier ? Well I like my fruit wines to be more fruity tasting. All the fruit in primary fermentation has a reducing characteristic, where not only do you lose the sweetness of any fruit but often some of the flavour character too. I don't try to produce batches that compete with grapes, or even try to get close. I like the main focus of the flavour to be unmistakable. Yes it does mean that some of my batches can have a more cordial like finish, but I make it for me, if others like it to, then that's a bonus...

As for what's going on ? Bog all.....my winery is about 60 miles down the road....
                          Last edited by fatbloke; 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM.
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Grapes arrived today. I thought we were getting a ton, but it turned out to be 1.3 tons. My friend Rob got a bit carried away when placing the order I think.

But I can't complain. They look great and the numbers are good. Everything was between 23 and 24.5 Brix. These were grown in the Rattlesnake Hills regions of Washington (the state, not the city). Below we have Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Syrah, Grenache, and Mourvedre. Feels like our own miniature stateside version of Grape Fest!

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                              Feels like our own miniature stateside version of Grape Fest!
                              Miniature?

Looks great Steve, enjoy! Wish Grapefest could happen all over again.
                              Simon

Comment

• Looking good Steve. Nice to know the grapes have come from the best state in the states - home of the Diamond Knot Brewery; and of Boeing!!! (I'm nothing if not unashamedly biased!!)

How long do you think it'll take to process all that lot????
                                "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Working...
                                X