This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DaveH View Post
    Looking good Steve. Nice to know the grapes have come from the best state in the states - home of the Diamond Knot Brewery; and of Boeing!!! (I'm nothing if not unashamedly biased!!)

How long do you think it'll take to process all that lot????
    The truck didn't show up until 5:00 pm yesterday, so we had a late start. Two of us got our allocation unloaded, crushed, measurements taken, and yeast pitched last night. I was all done and tidied up by 2 AM. I would guess that the third guy, who opted to go out to dinner with his missus instead of crushing right away, is probably still turning that crank this morning.

These are the days I feel my age. Seems like every muscle is stiff, tired, and uncooperative this morning.

Dave, there are some very good wineries in Washington, and quite a few are close to the Seattle area. If you get over there sometime, you should check them out. The largest is Chateau Ste. Michelle, which is huge.
    Steve

Comment

• Well done that man....I love the sight of that conical fermenter in the background.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        You all are welcome of course. Plenty of room to pitch tents in the back yard. But the curry is not as good and, as Bob will attest, it can get a bit cold here.
        Doesn't look too cold in September!

Taste history in the making; 34 years of Minnesota wineries using cold hardy grapes. The people and the grapes are resilient against the freezing temperature...
        Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

• Started 2 gallons of plum wine off today, but having just read Bobs experience of plum wine maybe i've wasted my time!

Still waiting for elderberies to ripen enough to pick up here.

Comment

• Plum wine works if it is sweetened

lots of people like it

I aalso dont like parsnip wine, but lots of people like that too

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Plum wine works if it is sweetened

lots of people like it

I aalso dont like parsnip wine, but lots of people like that too

regards
              bob
              I am trying a slowish ferment with GV5 yeast, in an attempt to keep the plum flavour. Will have to remember to back sweeten if required.

Parsnips are for roasting with sunday dinner or parsnip and pear soup!

Comment

• Walked in this morning and could smell malolactic fermentation.... that reminds me I need to leave myself a note to sulphite stuff soon !!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                  I am trying a slowish ferment with GV5 yeast, in an attempt to keep the plum flavour. Will have to remember to back sweeten if required.
                  I like the flavour of plum wine but not overly sweet and it needs 12-18 months maturing. Try experimenting with glycerine when finished as this can provide a slight sweetness and smoothness and it worked well for me.
                  Simon
                  "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Picked up 10 gallons of raw apple juice this last weekend. 5 gallons is destined for wine, the other 5 for cider.
                    Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                      Picked up 10 gallons of raw apple juice this last weekend. 5 gallons is destined for wine, the other 5 for cider.
                      Good reminder - I want to gather up some for freezing and storing.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                        Parsnips are for roasting with sunday dinner or parsnip and pear soup!
                        Curried parsnip soup for a winters day, best use of parsnips I've found yet.

Comment

• Curried parsnip soup - now that gets my vote

Comment

• Bottling day. Beer from a fortnight ago, and a carboy of wine from GF10. Slowly getting some more room to move in the garage.

Comment

• With a backlog of 7 wine kits sat on the shelf and having just placed an order with Karl for next years limited editions, I thought I'd better get my finger out so yesterday I started a Cellercraft Showcase Chilean Carmenere. Today I bottled a WE Washington Meritage 2012 and then tonight I started a gallon of Elderberry Port.

Comment

• Yesterday was apple fest at my house. Great fun and more importantly 6 gallons of cider on the way.20131017_155138.jpg
                                Simon
                                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
                                X