http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by kampervan View Post
      bottled 7 gallon various 2 glases spare what a pity will have to drink it
      Don'tchya just hate that part
      With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• Got yet another starter going, to try to rescue yet another stuck Gervin D fermentation (nothing wrong with Gervin D, but I obviously have a few sachets from a dodgy batch).

On a more positive note, I'm getting quite good at restarts
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          Got yet another starter going, to try to rescue yet another stuck Gervin D fermentation (nothing wrong with Gervin D, but I obviously have a few sachets from a dodgy batch).

On a more positive note, I'm getting quite good at restarts
          Pete if you were to when you were going to use that dodgy batch start and feed the yeast some Dap and some yeast energiser. If you can get them when things are stuck sometimes yeast hulls help.I have found that if I used the nutriant and the energizre together at the beginning it seemed to speed the infection start time and my wines seem to finish better.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• It's made me scratch my head - I usually use Tronozymol, which is a combined nutrient/energiser (I haven't for a box handy but I'm pretty sure it contains DAP). Normally this yeast takes off like a rocket, but recent attempts have taken off like those very early NASA rockets (i.e. got about 4 feet off the launch pad and then come crashing back down). The chap at my local HBS got exactly the same results, so we are pretty sure it's an iffy batch of yeast.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Just bottled first wine ever. #1 1gal original and #1 1gal of cranberry and raspberry.
              had to drink left overs
              fruit wine takes so long thank god i found #1 thanks WAH.

2gal to start tonight will decide which when at supermarket, unless anyone has any sugestion.

Comment

• Last night I started 2 seperate gallons of #1 with the Rubicon juice. I've started a Lychee and a Watermelon.

So... if the Lychee comes out as bad as I find the tinned lychee wine, I'll be round to spank whoever suggested I try using the juice!

(Form an orderly queue please boys...)
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acky View Post
                  Just bottled first wine ever. #1 1gal original and #1 1gal of cranberry and raspberry.
                  Congratulations
                  “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

• I finally got my A/O rig pieced together and am taking it for a test drive today. I have a few red wines that I want to test SO2 levels on. I've been carefully tracking how much meta is added, so it will be interesting to see if the results I'm expecting align at all with what the actual test results show.

If nothing else, it looks sort of geeky cool...

Steve

Comment

• cool, looks like a lab, infact it is! have you got a magnetic stirrer/hotplate too? useful bits of kit, great if you are using indicators or doing tritrations too. i often wonder about a big one for degassing wine. but scientific kit is often way expensive for what it is.
                      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• I have a mini magnetic stirrer (sans hotplate) that I use for titrating. It will hold a 50 ml beaker, but not much else. Ok for my current needs, but I'd like to pick up a larger one at some point. You're right about the cost. It can get ridiculously expensive. For my little home lab, I've had quite a bit of luck purchasing school grade equipment. Not quite the durability you find in the professional grade stuff, but the cost is much lower.

You have a reference to chemistry in your sig... are you in fact a chemist?
                        Steve

Comment

• school grade kit can be just the ticket, it often has durability in mind due to the rough handling that kids give stuff!

yep, i have a degree in chemistry which took me into doing a PhD in geochemistry. these keep me curious about all things to do with "bucket chemistry" ... cooking and brewing! but it really is true that science is mostly tedium and perspiration, with very few ureka moments of inspiration. its the latter that gets my motor running!
                          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• The A/O apparatus in action...

Steve

Comment

• Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                                Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X