Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rich, what you need to do is talk to them firmly but calmly and tell them you'll have no more of this nonsense and to pull their socks up. I find they perform better after a good talking to.
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• I've been building an aeration/oxidation apparatus for testing free SO2. Half of the labware arrived in the post today. I'm expecting another package tomorrow, and another sometime before the end of the week. The solutions are arriving in a separate parcel (expensive hazmat shipment).

If the sun, stars and moon all align, I hope to be running some tests by the weekend.
      Steve

Comment

• It's Dr Jekyll!
        “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
        Groucho Marx

Comment

• Holy cow, Mr. Wisp.... do you ever sleep? It must be extremely early morning where you are.
          Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            Holy cow, Mr. Wisp.... do you ever sleep? It must be extremely early morning where you are.
            Now you know why some nights are sleeping tablet nights
            Groucho Marx

Comment

If the sun, stars and moon all align, I hope to be running some tests by the weekend.
              Well... so far, nothing's in alignment. One missing flask, another one accidentally dropped (by me) onto a concrete floor, a broken pipette (not by me ), and the phosphoric acid is on backorder.

What's a mad scientist to do?
              Steve

Comment

What's a mad scientist to do?
                Switch off the bunsen burner and join three hags on the mountain?
                Groucho Marx

Comment

• Oh ... and die your beard purple and relax with a sip or two
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

• Bottled the first gal of Seyval. Smells promising, but I'm not sure if any of that will get through the acidity. Time will tell.

Bottled a gal of Apple made using the Colin Tweed method. Again, promising.

Forgive me Bob, but by this time next week I'll have gone over to the dark side (no Wisp, not Everton) and started some P..... ; some P.......; some Paaaaaaa......; some Paaaaaarrrrrss..... - Oh, you know what I mean. In my defence, they are free, and some will go into Sunday's lunch.
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Well........

£5 says you wont make a second batch!

your refined palate just wont like it

cut into wedges, coated in honey and roasted is the best way to prepare parsnips
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I know, I just want to prove to myself that it isn't worth making (and I DO have 80 jars of honey, so some of that will go on the parsnips instead of in mead )
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
                          Switch off the bunsen burner and join three hags on the mountain?
                          Might as well.... attempting to make gold from lead hasn't worked for me yet.
                          Steve

Comment

• Tonight I'm bottling 5 gallons of Late Harvest Riesling that was commenced only 6 weeks ago. It's amazing how soon a wine can be ready to bottle if you force filter the sediment out rather than waiting for it to clear on its own.

I know Bob's probably shaking his head at this statement, but I stopped fermentation on this batch in order to retain the residual sugar. I've been keeping it outside in the cold so the yeasties wouldn't kick into gear again, but it's now starting to warm up. The garage is at 45F today, so if I didn't do something with it, it would've started up again.

Tastes extremely good, though. And after three progressively tighter filterings it's clear as a bell.
                            Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by ohbeary
                              Please excuse me if I disagree, this is my territory, parboil your parsnips, drain and toss in butter with honey, salt and fresh ground black pepper, heat lard/goose/duck fat in a roasting tin, pour over nip's toss and return to pan, roast @ 200C til golden!, eat, preferably with roast beef( Forerib), steamed savoy cabbage, boiled carrots, roast pot's(Maris Piper, King Edward or Whites) and some good gravy!(you know what I mean! proper gravy, not bisto).
                              Now I'm hungry again
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Might as well.... attempting to make gold from lead hasn't worked for me yet.

It's printer ink you need to be working on ... it's worth more than gold!
                                Last edited by wisp; 04-03-2010, 01:20 AM.
                                Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X