Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Monday I started 3 number ones, identical except that each had a different juice in. One was Rubicon lychee.
    It has fermented very strangly, just building up a layer of dense foam, no action at all through the airlock. the other two are acting as normal.
    I had given the Lychee one a good stir first thing this morning and it has settled down now and airlock is plopping OK.
    It sounds as if yours is the same as mine Wisp so hopefully it should be OK

Comment

• Nowt... but I am thinking
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Nothing today, but tomorrow hopijg to rack 45 gallons of Ciliegiolo, and perhaps 45 gallons Merlot. Then if time permits, may do some filtering and bottling.

Need to also sort out the lights in the winery, they keep tripping the circuit breakers (maybe I should tackle the lights first?)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Bob that would depend do you like working in the dark?
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Just bottled 1 gallon no 1 dry, 1 gallon lychee from juice dry.
            With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• Have you entered any of them in Donny show next week?
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• These two don't warrant entering, today I hope to bottle a rose and some of the lychee from pulp, those would warrant entering, but it does depend if they're ready.

Comment

• Today, I shall mostly be checking the gravity on 3 or was it 4 gallons of mead that I brewed a couple of weeks ago - and I shall also be checking the 2 gallon batch of chenin blanc that I made at the same time.

If time allows, I might even get round to filtering/bottling the gallon of tinned Strawberry that's been crying out for bottling for some time now........

regards

Mr A.R. Amateur!
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Just finished bottling the contenders for the 'King of Yeasts' challenge with a Number 1 wine
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

• Attempting to fix the lights in the winery today (circuit breakers keep popping)

plargh!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• get a leccy in, yu know it makes sense, lychee has got some gum stuff in so it is thicker is that why it is foamy?

Comment

• Well, the 3 different meads all seem finished or nearly so. The driest one is at .990 and the other 2 are sitting at about 1.005. I'm just gonna leave them alone until they start to clear a bit.

I also tested a "mystery red" which I think was blackberry and apple - won't bore you with why is a mystery, but it's sitting at about .990 - a nice fruity taste to it and the colour is a dark rose. So when I've 5 minutes it'll get racked, sorbated and sulphited, and probably back sweetened.

The real star has turned out to be the remainder of the chenin blanc kit. It was originally bought for back sweetening meads, and despite my efforts otherwise the concentrate did start to get a little mould on the surface. So it was strained and sulphited and literally slung into a bucket and the yeast pitched. It took nearly 3 weeks to show any sign of activity but then it fermented quite quickly and has cleared quite well. So it's been split into 2 DJ's to finish clearing and been sulphited and sorbated.

I'll definitely use chenin blanc concentrate for back sweetening meads again as it really did display honey like characteristics.

Nothing will be getting done today as we've to put up a new fence in the front garden...
                          Last edited by fatbloke; 04-04-2010, 08:28 AM. Reason: typo's and spelling
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Racked 5 gallon of lychee from pulp. Smells gorgeous!. Had to top up with the wine no 1 i bottled last night, waste of a cork really

Having used the glass bead/marble method of making sure DJ is full after racking I find it's more trouble than it's worth.

Therefore I need to get another 5 gallon of no1 on which will mainly be used for topping up.

Comment

• SG checks mainly. Choc Rasp port seems to be stationary at a smidge under 1.018 Given it a good stir and will check later in the week. It should get to 1.010 before stabilising and F pack goes in. Seem to remember the last CRP kit didn't ferment right down either.

Comment

• Nothing going on in my winery today, though I am pruning some of the vines. I suppose the winery technically extends to the vineyard, correct?
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X