This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
    That sounds like a good port in the making there.

Racked the raspberry chocolate port too, that had a lot of lees.
    Honestly, you're obsessed by port, you are.

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I walked into the winery today, noticed how dirty and cluttered it was, promptly turned off the light, and walked back upstairs.

Maybe this weekend.
      Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        I walked into the winery today, noticed how dirty and cluttered it was....
        something similar happened to me, so i did a stock take before i left ...
        40-50 full bottles
        21.5 full demijohns (5 clearing, the rest aging)
        4 empty DJ's
        2 empty 5 gallon FV's.
        roll on elderflower season.
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Just slowly emptying out everything in time for elderflower season too:

Bottled 1 gallon of Lychee.
          Racked Wine Number 1 with late strawberry additions (which is orange...).
          Racked a Karl's Christmas Pudding Wine (which was a learning experience).
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
            That sounds like a good port in the making there.
            Not a bad idea, think I might that.

Yesterday I did the sugar and acid additions and popped in the yeast to all 4 fermenters. Looking good this morning - very active on all but the raspberry.

Comment

• Just bottled 27 bottles of red from a 30 bottle Cheatau Nuef Du Pape clone by Beaverdale. Kept the rest in a DJ to settle some of the yeast out to see if I can squeeze out another bottle or two, but I think I didn't add enough water after the first racking. Oh well

Oh, and Happy Birthday Wurzel!
              -Police Squad

Comment

• Originally posted by koomber View Post
                Just bottled 27 bottles of red from a 30 bottle Cheatau Nuef Du Pape clone by Beaverdale. Kept the rest in a DJ to settle some of the yeast out to see if I can squeeze out another bottle or two, but I think I didn't add enough water after the first racking.
                -----%<-----
                Given my penchant for big chewy reds of Bordeaux and Burgundy type, I'd like to hear how this turns out when it's RTD.

Of course, it does depend a hell of a lot with "the water" and I understand that a lot of the water in Scotland is soft, so given that down here it tends to be hard as nails with vvv high calcium, I wouldn't have a problem sorting some RO or de-ionised water.

Just that as I'm not really a kit maker (hell, or a wine maker - mead is my thing - mainly) if it comes close then I'd be happy to get Karl to ship a couple south.......

regards

jtfb

p.s. Oh and what going on in "my winery" (the bleedin' kitchen) ? Just sanitising 3 DJ's to rack off 3 x 1 gall batches of mead made the same but with differing honeys.......
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• More frozen grapes. My brew shop has a 25% off special, so I picked up 250 lbs of '07 vintage Napa Valley Cabernet. I pitched the yeast last night. Good timing as the weather is supposed to be warm for the next week, so I should be able to keep it out in the garage.
                  Steve

Comment

• Bottled 5 gals of Selection Ltd Edition Dolcetto.

My opinion of it : http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...2720#post72720

I have kept my 100% record of breaking Enolmatics too
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Just fired together 2 gallons of a dried elderflower wine number 1. I know the season is about to kick off, well, up north anyway, thanks to us having arctic conditions up to about 2 weeks ago, I'd imagine the poor blighters want a lie in! Not sure about you chaps down in the sunny(er) part of this fabulous country of ours.

Racked the Christmas pud again to get rid of some more garbage that had snuck in!
                      -Police Squad

Comment

• The cap is finally up on the Cab today. Other than a little foaming, it hadn't been doing much of anything prior. I did some Googling around and found that someone else had published a lab analysis on this same must showing very low levels of assimilable nitrogen and ammonia. So I added a good dose of DAP and Fermaid K to give it a kick in the pants. A couple of hours later the cap is up and all is good.
                        Steve

Comment

• Ha ha! even I've done something.......

Racked 3 x 1 gallon batches (2 variations of Oaklahoma Wild Flower honey and one with the Blended Polish stuff) with campden tablets and sorbate.

They've all been topped up with Chenin Blanc concentrate.

I don't tend to dissolve the campden tablets, just crush them, pour them in and give it a swirl.

Damn that helps get some of the de-gassing done.....

regards

jtfb
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Bottled 5 gals of cranberry and raspberry and 5 gals of Christmas tea.
                            “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

• Dismantling my Enolmatic.

I'm not overly impressed - a component in the filler head has broken after 13 months and around 150 bottles. I'm reluctant to spend around £55 on a complete new filler head, so I'm waiting for the nice people at the importers (ACO Packaging) to give me a price for a replacement component.

Plan B - superglue
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Starting to build a new winery :-) Hopefully I'll get around to some actual wine stuff tonight
                                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Working...
                                X