Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not strictly wine related but it has taken place in the winerty (ie my kitchen)

Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

• lol..cheapskate me used the Tesco value Xmas puddings,, only a quid each..
      might be interesting then to see how it turns out...
      Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

• Not quite today but.. Tomorrow my lidl boiler is getting a better tap put in, and hop strainer. Hole needs taking out a little to fit it.

The boiler was bought earlier this year, with the intention on doing all grain beer at some point. Koomber has (sort of) volunteered to help steer the first batch along with me.

Just got to get some hoses sorted next, and a chiller.

Got to play with something whilst the wine is maturing!

Comment

• Originally posted by waggoner View Post
          lol..cheapskate me used the Tesco value Xmas puddings,, only a quid each..
          might be interesting then to see how it turns out...
          Wait until 2nd week in January, then buy all the expensive ones up cheap
          With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• Almost 100lb apples ground and frozen, can't start any fermenting due to impending move.

Comment

• Picked up 40 gallons of white grape juices this morning (as Bob would say, "from a dodgy bloke in a lorry" ).

Chenin Blanc, Gewurz, Grenache, Muscat of Alexandria, and Viognier.

Brix, pH has been tested and adjusted. Yeast starters are started. Now just waiting patiently for them to warm up enough to pitch yeast.
              Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                Picked up 40 gallons of white grape juices this morning (as Bob would say, "from a dodgy bloke in a lorry" ).

Chenin Blanc, Gewurz, Grenache, Muscat of Alexandria, and Viognier.

Brix, pH has been tested and adjusted. Yeast starters are started. Now just waiting patiently for them to warm up enough to pitch yeast.
                VERY NICE! 40 gallons I'd be quivering over 4!, post some pics

Comment

• yesterday, took a few tubs of "chemicals" out of my winery and headed off to a mates house to get him started on his first ever brew. Full of enthusiasm he started 4 gallons, using different yeasts and juices for comparison, and is buying more airlocks and DJ's this week!
                  To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                  A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                    VERY NICE! 40 gallons I'd be quivering over 4!, post some pics
                    Not much to see at this point but a bunch of buckets, but I'll be transferring to carboys when I get home from work tonight. The six gallons of muscat went into the freezer and will be used to make ice wine come January.

white_juices.jpg
                    Steve

Comment

• Me? Well I'm busy scratching my head to work out how to progress with my elderberry melomel after taking a sample and then adding 3lb of honey, while waiting a couple of minutes while the hydrometer was sanitising.

Only to find that the elderberry juice had a reading of 1.120 - and like a total cabbage, had already added 3lb of honey........

The honey/elderberry must measured off the scale, though a rough guestimate is about 1.165.

So I've got to do a few experiments to work out what the dilution ratio will need to be to bring the gravity down to something like normal limits.........though I am hoping for something that is high alcohol, but very fruity tasting to be aged for a good few years.

regards

jtfb
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Sugar-fed this year's Black Cherry Port.

My Greengage Vodka had cleared nicely after the addition of pectolase, so it was racked, sugar added to taste, and is now back in the fridge to clear completely before bottling.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Lots going on in the winery...

Tonight I am pressing 250 lbs of Cab Sauvignon. 16 days on the skins!

Tomorrow I am picking up a quarter ton of premium Merlot and Cabernet Franc grapes from the state of Washington. I'm very excited about this. Washington makes some outstanding quality wines (in 2009 a Washington state wine took the top spot in Wine Spectator's Top 100) and it's the first time we've been able to get the grapes locally.

Oh, and the whites (and one rosé) are still happily gurgling away.

white_juices_2.jpg
                          Steve

Comment

• There is nowt going on in my winery
                            New windows... walls plastered, now need to decorate, the entire house - except the bathroom.
                            There is just tooooo much dust about to get anything done wine wise at the moment.
                            Sad times
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Things have been hectic here, suddenly not enough hours in the day. But still managed to find time to plunder a neighbour's vine, so now have loads of grapes, washed and sitting in a FV with sulphite. Desperate need to do some bottling to free up some DJ's next.
                              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• The cap was still buoyant on my Cabernet, so I held off pressing it until this morning (18 days on the skins - the longest I've ever had a red ferment go). Strangely enough, the skins were still relatively solid and intact. Usually they are mush by this time.

Total yield: 68 liters from 250 pounds of grapes. Very dark wine...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X