• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing.

I should be doing loads, but time is at a premium. Must work harder
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Tonight, finished off degassing Januarys Xmas pud wine, sulphited/sorbated, I'd like to have this in bottles by December.

SG tests on the Black Cherry/Merlot port base, few days to go before pressing, then the fun can begin, thinking of adding some Mulberry to it.
      With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• bottling:
        • 1 gallon of Elderberry & Blackberry (50/50), 2009. 12.4%. Like a light Rioja, but definately still a red. Wasn't expecting anything decent until next year (when the other gallons will be bottled) so very happy already.
        • 1 gallon of quickie Elderflower, the last of the 5 gallons made this year, happy to have all the gallons of the "proper" version left untouched.
        • 1 gallon of Blackberry, 2009. Big rosé, one of my favourite annual brews.

results of yeast experiments on these, had to fit my wants and needs (low temp ferment, low foaming, esters, generally easy to handle, some forum favourites tried). Nothing between them really, but nice to have options cos one day I'm sure the HBS won't have my favourite when I want it.
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
          but nice to have options cos one day I'm sure the HBS won't have my favourite when I want it.

get a starter made from it....and keep it alive
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            get a starter made from it....and keep it alive
            good advice for some, but not for everyone, circumstances makes it impractical for me.
            Last edited by ms67; 16-11-2010, 02:14 AM.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

good advice for some, but not for everyone, circumstances makes it impractical for me.
              how so...do you not have a fridge?

its easy, make a starter, use half of it.....other half goes in fridge, when needed, top up with sugared water or fruit juice and away it goes.....use half, put it fridge etc etc etc

this way one sachet of yeast can be eeked out a very long way
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• i know what to do, and how to do it, and also what appliances are needed, like you say it's easy. Like i said it's the circumstances that make it impractical. I'm not getting into explaining tricky problems to you (we've done that before).

What does work incredibly well for me is planning my brews carefully so that sometimes i use the lees from one brew to immediately start a second. It's easier to find alternatives than solve the unsolvable problem.

Comment

i know what to do, and how to do it, and also what appliances are needed, like you say it's easy. Like i said it's the circumstances that make it impractical. I'm not getting into explaining tricky problems to you (we've done that before).
                  easy there tiger

What does work incredibly well for me is planning my brews carefully so that sometimes i use the lees from one brew to immediately start a second. It's easier to find alternatives than solve the unsolvable problem.
                  thats also a great method, to set off a second batch, and it will, for those who haven't done it before, fire up really quickly...however a third batch is not really do-able as the yeast can mutate.

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Racked and Corked 24 bottles of Red. Just took delivery today of a 2 handed corker (and corks of course).
                    Good Laugh, what’s long and hard on me? figuring out how a corker works!

After I racked the first bottle I thought I best try this corker out. To my amazement the corks were bigger than the openning of the bottle and not a hope corking by placing the cork on top of the bottle then placing corker unit over it. Tried getting them started by hand with no luck there.

I was thick after 5 minutes figuring I was sold the wrong corks and decided to call up and demand a free shipment of the right fitting product.

Forcing myself not to jump the gun and figuring WTF-over, there has to be a solution, I decided to crack a beer and have a fag while pondering what I was going to do with all the nice sterilized bottles.

I had a lightning bolt moment when I noticed the big looking openning in the corker that might fit the cork.

Patience paid off once again as I didn’t make an ejit of myself with a phone call demanding “skinny corks”

Ya know how it is...easy when you know how. One to add to the brewing diary so I can look back and laugh. There is fun when your a Newbie
                    Last edited by Former Canuk; 17-11-2010, 01:04 AM.
                    Keep on Truckin

Comment

• That would have been a phone call worth listening to .

Anyway ...

A bit of work on the Grapefest 2010 wines today ...

Bentonited the Trebbiano

Degassed & stabilised the Fruit Merlot

Brought a few gallons in from the garage to warm up prior to degassing (Mrs. Goldseal hasn't noticed yet - hoping she doesn't open the dining room door).
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Shrink capped 30 Luna Rossa, 6 Raspberry, something and something else fruit tea and 6 Rosehip.

Tomorrow I might label them.

Comment

• Degassed Tempranillo 2nd run - half stabilised, the other half will be used for sparkling (rosé).

I was about to degas by Montepulciano 2nd run when I noticed activity. I'm not sure if fermentation has fired up again now the carboy is in warmer surroundings, or whether it is degassing itself for the same reason. The hydrometer will tell me, but for now the carboy is hiding behind my chair in the front room .

Bottled this year's Greengage Vodka. Last year's was very good, apparently, but I can't remember drinking it
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Nothing going on in my winery this coming weekend. I'm hosting a board meeting for our winemaking club, so we'll have 30-40 people traipsing through the house.

Next weekend is a 4-day holiday, though. I plan on bottling like a mad man. I have 40 gallons that needs to be bottled before Christmas, so I can free up carboys for wines I'm starting in January.
                            Steve

Comment

• Started some damson gin today (i.e. poured some gin over some damsons )
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Racked and started degassing 5 gallons of Blueberry & Cranberry Rosé.

Comment

Working...
                                X