• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and some from

was charged 1.90 per kilo in hbs, so went for mail order
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Just pulled the pin on a fresh fire extinguisher (what I use for a keg), the Black Rock Pilsner coming out of it is lovely. Got a quicky Belvino on the go so there's some stock for Xmas. Temp was 27C today, can't complain. Instructed the wife at home on snow clearing technics
      Keep on Truckin

Comment

• more bottling inluding first ag beer actually got down to 1.010. still no parcels
        http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
        http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• All grain brew (all on my own) to use up some left over grains I'd got. Disgorged some sparkly yesterday, so in my usual impatient way we're sampling a bottle tonight. Got to love all the snow and ice for assisting in my sparkly making.

Comment

• Today I'm gussying up my new bottlings with foils and labels.
            Steve

Comment

• Put together my temp controlled brewing fridge. 1ft Tube heater in the bottom, all connected to a stc1000 temp controller. Seems to be able to hold any selected temp between 1 and 25c and can fit a 25 litre bucket in. This is mainly for beer, but will get used for wine too if the need arises.

Also disgorged the rest of my sparkly that's ready, making the most of the frozen weather to freeze the bottle necks.
              Last edited by Rich; 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• I have one gallon of tea wine and one gallon of gooseberry wine

Comment

• Beer racking today, all ready to go into DJ's to finish off.

3 gals bitter, 2 gals IPA and 1.5 gals barley wine

all destined for competitions
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Racked my Elderberry disaster juice and slufited.
                    Racked the Second runnings from GF into a Betterbottle.
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

• Just racked my elderberry melomel off the lees and apart from the very strong tannic bitterness (very high fruit levels), with a drop from 1.130 to 1.010 I'm quite pleased with the result - it's gonna be one that needs ageing though... I suspect....

Plus, racked the gallon and a 1/2 of cyser, which has become elderberry cyser, because I had a litre of the melomel must left over in the fridge, and the cyser had finished at 1.000, a bit dry for me, so I added the elderberry mel must to back sweeten, add some colour and get rid of any airspace while clearing......

regards

jtfb
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• it's been an intensely busy time, just managed to squeeze in a little brewing in the gaps to keep things ticking over, and update the blog, but overlooked this thread til now.

racked, degassed and stabilised many gallons; Blueberry & Cranberry Quickie Rosé, Muscat (grapes on the pulp). the latter is quite amazing in how much the very young (yet to clear) wine tastes of the grapes. Bottled some of the former. Bottled a Youngs definite CW kit, nice enough but uncomplicated and a quickie wine is cheaper, faster and better quality. A foraged wine (with same ingredients - elderberries and blackberries) takes months, or beyond a year, longer to become drinkable but when it does it's no competition. whether you give it months or beyond a year depends on what the process was; Simple on the pulp aiming for plenty of body etc - plenty of time needed. second run on the fruit, aiming for a lighter wine - months only.

perhaps not the place for it ... but opened a bottle of rose petal wine tonight, one year old, stunning. The tickle in the throat that was there a few months ago has totally gone and the rose flavour is still all there. Real beauty, big batch coming on soon!
                        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• oh, i also started a Vieux Chateau Du Roi ... only 6 months or so since i bought the kit!
                          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                            it's been an intensely busy time, just managed to squeeze in a little brewing in the gaps to keep things ticking over, and update the blog, but overlooked this thread til now.

racked, degassed and stabilised many gallons; Blueberry & Cranberry Quickie Rosé, Muscat (grapes on the pulp). the latter is quite amazing in how much the very young (yet to clear) wine tastes of the grapes. Bottled some of the former. Bottled a Youngs definite CW kit, nice enough but uncomplicated and a quickie wine is cheaper, faster and better quality. A foraged wine (with same ingredients - elderberries and blackberries) takes months, or beyond a year, longer to become drinkable but when it does it's no competition. whether you give it months or beyond a year depends on what the process was; Simple on the pulp aiming for plenty of body etc - plenty of time needed. second run on the fruit, aiming for a lighter wine - months only.

perhaps not the place for it ... but opened a bottle of rose petal wine tonight, one year old, stunning. The tickle in the throat that was there a few months ago has totally gone and the rose flavour is still all there. Real beauty, big batch coming on soon!
                            Sounds like a busy time. Could you share your rose wine recipe, I'd love to make some and last year we bought about 10 david austin heavey scented roses (as I love the smell of them in the garden) so I was hoping to make wine from some of the petals. Would they be suitable for wine making?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                              Sounds like a busy time. Could you share your rose wine recipe, I'd love to make some and last year we bought about 10 david austin heavey scented roses (as I love the smell of them in the garden) so I was hoping to make wine from some of the petals. Would they be suitable for wine making?

Thanks
                              hi Billy

rose petal wine

i needed to use chitin/chitosan finings. This is a wine that delighted 3 folks including myself. Others will have other ways of doing things, all depends on your aims (pleasing yourself, your mates, judges at competitions, whatever).

I have no idea if your roses are suitable for winemaking, but i would look them up online to see what i could find out. My guess is that they would be fine but as i'm no expert on roses i can't say for sure. i wish i had them to experiment with 'cos they sound divine. I wish you the very best of luck. And i'm sure you'll enjoy both the journey and the destination.

Comment

• Monte and Merlot from GF10 racked off ready for storage. Finally got 1 gall of Merlot and 5 Gall of Monte once racked. Had a crafty taste of the monte - not bad!!!!
                                "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Working...
                                X