Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are due some sub zero temps next week I understand...

pop it outside for a few days and likely a lot of the excess acid will precipitate out. You may wish to seed with cream of tartar at the rate of 1 tsp per gallon first.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Chucked an EC-118 starter into my Tempranillo rosé for refermentation into sparkling tempranillo rosé.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        We are due some sub zero temps next week I understand...pop it outside for a few days and likely a lot of the excess acid will precipitate out. You may wish to seed with cream of tartar at the rate of 1 tsp per gallon first.
        yup, works well with my love of KISS principles. I'm actually surprised that nothing dropped out already given that even a speck of glass can seed crystals, and that i've fined it. roll on the cold nights. Even in the unlikely event that i have to wait til next winter this is my preferred option. i'll try without cream of tartar first (time is not an issue) i can add it later if needs be. "Extreme KISSing"
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Just made a California connoisseur, Sauvignon Blanc kit up. A 6 bottle one, a local store had a couple on sell for £9.00each, so bought that and a Rioja Tinto one. Interested to see how it turns out..

Just read the small print on the box... " This product may produce an alcoholic beverage".. I certainly hope it does!!!
          Last edited by waggoner; 15-02-2011, 11:08 PM. Reason: just read the box..
          Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

• Finally got my whale submersible pump set up, and racked 30 liters in the time it took to me to think to myself, blimey that's fast.
            Going to go back up when the tea's mashed and rack everything in sight. Twice.

Comment

• Kegged my 'Bonzo's Best American Blonde Ale' and keeping after it's creater it's a little bit red.

Also won this:
              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
              -Police Squad

Comment

• A tenner?

Good effort. That's about £25 - 30 below the going rate
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Thats a real bargain Graham, i've seen them go for 60
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Just bottled a gallon each of,,Banana,,mandarin & pineapple ,, Ginger,, and beetroot & carrot But i've got a stinking cold (man flu), and it all tastes like ear wax,,,
                    Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

• Originally posted by mrdexter View Post
                      Finally got my whale submersible pump set up, and racked 30 liters in the time it took to me to think to myself, blimey that's fast.
                      Going to go back up when the tea's mashed and rack everything in sight. Twice.

Its nice to have a convert - you can see why I rant about how good they now!

Mine has 900 litres of red to do tomorrow.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I'm not sure what benefits there would be to using a non submersible over this one, but the convinience is awesome. In terms of value for money it is the single best piece of kit I have purchased, thank you sir :-)

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        Its nice to have a convert - you can see why I rant about how good they now!

Mine has 900 litres of red to do tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrdexter View Post
                          I'm not sure what benefits there would be to using a non submersible over this one, but the convinience is awesome.
                          I don't know anything about these pumps. Do they use an impeller to move the wine? That would be my only concern, as impellers tend to "beat up" the wine.

I use a vacuum racking setup myself, and love it. Nothing touches the wine. It's simply pulled from one container to another. Works great for barrels or large DJs that are too heavy to move around.
                          Steve

Comment

• Oh... and I'm prepping to start bottling the 2010 whites on Monday. First up is Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, and Chenin Blanc.
                            Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                              I don't know anything about these pumps. Do they use an impeller to move the wine? That would be my only concern, as impellers tend to "beat up" the wine.

I use a vacuum racking setup myself, and love it. Nothing touches the wine. It's simply pulled from one container to another. Works great for barrels or large DJs that are too heavy to move around.
                              Yes it does. I did consider vacuum, but wanted something that was both much cheaper, and that I could use with plastic better bottles.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                                Oh... and I'm prepping to start bottling the 2010 whites on Monday. First up is Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, and Chenin Blanc.
                                Just racked my 2010 Merlot primo, Monty primo and 50/50 pressings.

Pumps: I originally adapted the idea from looking at commercial winery process years ago. The enuolilou-matic is a good bit of kit, bit v expensive, so lets face it Steve its a toy
                                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                                X