This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditto with the racking.

525 litres in total, far too much. It's all the cleaning up that goes with it that seems to take the time . . . hope it's all worth it!

Comment

• Racked 4 gallons of different types into glass Dj's for aging,,and bottled 4 gallons,,xmas pudding,, No1 wine with gooseberry juice (thanks Goldseal), No1 again with dried elderflower added and a youngs elderberry kit..

Then added yeast to kiwi wine..

Never knew racking and bottling could be so much fun,,,all those left over bits of wine, that just won't fit into a bottle or Dj...
      Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

• I have been playing with urinalysis test strips for measuring residual sugar in wine, prior refermenting to make sparkling wine. Interestingly, it tells me that a red with an SG considerably higher than 0.990 can contain no residual sugar (I'm making a sparkling Tempranillo rosé).

Spent a bit of time rearranging the wine racks, so the stuff meant for ageing is in the less accessible racks, the reds for drinking are on the indoor racks and the whites for drinking are on the nice cool racks in the garage.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Today.

Well today has been a busy brewing day, This morning I made two x 1gallon lychee wines, 1 with some Cellar rat white yeast, 1 with K1v1116. Then a 5 gallon batch of wine #1 to be sweetened with gooseberries. This was also made with some Cellar rat white yeast.

Pics to follow in the yeast trial section.

Then, a 19 litre brew of Old Speckled Hen clone. With Hens Tooth yeast recultured from a bottle.

Comment

• I just got home from Kidderminster to find my first ever brouwland delivery. Tonight I shall be playing with new bungs and airlocks, setting up my previously purchased submerisble whale pump with some of the tubing which arrived today, weighing anything I can find with the new scales...and generally acting like a kid in a sweetshop :-)

Comment

• sloe berry wine.

I have just started two gallons of sloe berry wine today
              I locally picked 4kg of sloe's last year,for Gin and winemaking

Comment

• Racked my first Wine No 1. Added a crushed campden tablet (to 1 gallon) but there is still some life to it it seems. Didn't test the SG Just went with visual no more bubbles through the airlock before racking to another demi. Will give her another couple of days and check again
                Keep on Truckin

Comment

• Originally posted by Former Canuk View Post
                  Didn't test the SG Just went with visual no more bubbles through the airlock before racking to another demi.
                  Your Hydrometer is your friend

have yourself spanked immediately
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Drying some Salami.......

ooooooer- just found a dusty harris filter that I am never going to use PM me - its yours!
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I finally manged to having a racking session
                      There is still too much diy type things, going on in this house, to have any serious wine stuff going on
                      Last edited by spritzer; 11-02-2011, 12:52 AM. Reason: smelling and granma
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Got three yeast starters on the go: EC-1118 for sparkling Tempranillo rosé, and D47 and Cellar-Rat-White for rhubarb
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Today, I also had a bit of a sniff of the 2 ports that I made 2.5 years ago.
                          They smell quite ok......
                          I havent tasted them yet
                          If I can get the consistancy and mouthfeel right, I may enter them into the next VWC.
                          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Lock, Duly spanked for sure considering I have 2 of them!!
                            Keep on Truckin

Comment

• Racked Tempranillo 2nd run prior to sparkling it.

Back-sweetened the 2010 Trebbiano with juice drawn off pre-fermentation and frozen. IMO this improves the wine tremendously.

Bottled 5 gals of Fruit Merlot.

I'm now waiting for the last of the juice to come out of the thawing rhubarb, prior to getting 2 gals on the go (Cellar Rat Yeast trial).
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• another day of squeezing in wine-making amongst a hectic schedule....

racked 2 gallons of Muscat and 1 gallon of VCduR
                                bottled 1 gallon each of
                                • Cranberry & Blueberry
                                • Tanglefoot
                                • Elderfower

and got to learn some new stuff to deal with a very acidic Muscat which is otherwise deliciously flavoured of the grape variety. Exciting times cos i like KISS principles and like the character of the wine, so i'm up for the challenge.
                                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                                X