Competition label advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition label advice

I have decided to enter some wine in the Gillingham and Shaftesbury Show this year for the first time. The booklet that I have received with the rules and a list of classes in has very little info regarding labelling.

I rang and asked for more information and was told all the information I required would be in the booklet.

All the booklet says is that the bottle must have a plain white label no less than 5cm from the base of the bottle and an elastic band around it. It says nothing about what should be on the label. I guess the label needs the class number on it but what about a description of the contents? How much info should I include on the label?

The classes are a bottle of dry wine (red or White), a bottle of sweet wine, a bottle of wine made from fruit or flowers, a bottle of wine from a kit or concentrate.

Rob

Leave the labels blank and ask when you get there. Good luck!!
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Oooooh that's a good idea, thanks
      Richard

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yes, good luck!

Comment

Thanks Leon!

I'm entering six bottles in three classes and dearly hope the judges are easily pleased

Comment

Let us all know how you get on.

Comment

Don't wish to blow my own trumpet but.........

I got a first (GF2011 Merlot), a second, (Dandelion), and two thirds (Californian Fume Blanc kit and an Elderflower) from the six wines and I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.

Unaccustomed as I am to speech making, I would like to take this opportunity to thank a few people

Firstly I would like to thank Cellar Rat for winding me up with continuos comments like preferring his White wine on his chips. This has really spurred me on to improving the quality of the White wines I make. Three of the four awards today were for White wines so up yours Brian

Next I would like to thank Sisandrine for the Dandelion wine recipe I used. Simon, the wine has matured brilliantly, it has a great bouquet and a glorious crisp dry taste and received a second place so thank you for your input.

I would like to thank Brian again, this time for supplying the yeast that went into the Dandelion wine, it made all the difference.

To Bob, I want to say thank you for the forum, without which I would not be a winemaker today. Your advice, your criticisms, the tutorials, the free tasting service you provide have all given me the tools to build my skills to such a high level.

Lastly I would like to thank all of the forum members that have held my hand through my journey of the last two years, a journey that has had it's ups and downs and without you all I couldn't have got through this, I love you all, you guys mean so much to me......

Comment

you know how to wound a chap - that really hurts - I supplied a yeast that made award winning white wine

Seriously . WELL DONE!
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 16-08-2012, 08:49 AM.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  you know how to wound a chap - that really hurts - I supplied a yeast that made award winning white wine

Seriously . WELL DONE!
                  Let me echo those senitments....

WELL DONE ROB!!!
                  "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Thanks chaps. The competition was great fun doing, I wish there were more in this area to enter.

I have a very sore head this morning as last night I collected my entries and was faced with 6 open bottles of wine that I didn't know what to do with. I did top a couple up and recorked in the hope they will last a week or two but the others I decided to analyse to see where I could make improvements

Brian, I didn't see the irony of that last night.

Comment

Well done Rob, there's no better buzz than a 1st place, you might want to consider the National in 2014 as it is in Weston Super Mare.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

You didn't need a sore head either - you missed the opportunity to have a fish & chip party :

Well done.
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Top banana rob

great to see you did so well, you have bragging rights now

of course we will need to sample it at grapefest!!!

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            of course we will need to sample it at grapefest!!!

regards
                            Bob
                            In the words of the Churchill Dog.........OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YES! ;o)
                            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Yes ok I will bring plenty of bottles for you all to sample.

Weston super mare is only an hour from me so that is doable. I guess I need to be a member of a circle or club to enter. Cheers for the info Karl.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X