Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    just curious to know how you are finding these tutorials?
    helpful?
    are any of you are making these wines?

please let me know

regards
    Bob

by a strange coincidence,I got 2 ltrs tesco red grape and a ltr of tesco blueberry a couple of days before you posted wine #2

So I am following as close as I can..
    only difference so far,I didnt have same yeast to hand so I used a Gervin A (think thats the one)
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
      by a strange coincidence,I got 2 ltrs tesco red grape and a ltr of tesco blueberry a couple of days before you posted wine #2

So I am following as close as I can..
      only difference so far,I didnt have same yeast to hand so I used a Gervin A (think thats the one)
      Ah ha! so tesco do the blueberry and red grape as well as the morrisons ones that Bob showed in the tutorial, excellent. I can probably get there tomorrow to see if the local branch has 'em in stock.

regards

John the fatbloke
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

just curious to know how you are finding these tutorials?
        helpful?
        are any of you are making these wines?

please let me know

regards
        Bob
        Nope. Not enough demijohns at the moment, but I'm living vicariously through your posts!
        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
        Twitter: VirtualWineO
        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Yep ive had the apple wine recipe on the go for over a week and a half now, bubbling is slowing down now quite a bit.

Comment

Kiwi fruit ? excellent. Hadn't thought of trying them. Nice and cheap at the local tesco

regards

fatbloke
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Kiwi...that is a good one.

Those dwarf kiwi trees are doing well around Lake Eufalla, OKiehoma. You teach me John, I will go get the juice...Eufalla is just 50 miles from Sallisaw. A vintner in Eufalla sells trees, I should be able to buy frozen kiwi fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristaeus View Post
                Those dwarf kiwi trees are doing well around Lake Eufalla, OKiehoma. You teach me John, I will go get the juice...Eufalla is just 50 miles from Sallisaw. A vintner in Eufalla sells trees, I should be able to buy frozen kiwi fruit.
                Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                Kiwi fruit ? excellent. Hadn't thought of trying them. Nice and cheap at the local tesco

regards

fatbloke

hi guys
                moved your posts to here, for discussion stuff, if we get a lot of posts in the tutorial itself it becomes less easy to read.

hope you dont mind...
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

hi guys
                  moved your posts to here, for discussion stuff, if we get a lot of posts in the tutorial itself it becomes less easy to read.

hope you dont mind...
                  Why should I mind ???

If I thought before I type, I'd have put it here in the first place instead of making an excellent tutorial look messy with spurious comment!

TVM Bob.

John the fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Aristaeus View Post
                    Well I don't really know if you can get frozen kiwi fruit or not??? I understood that it's one of those fruit that has such a high water content that freezing it just screws it up - like most melon!

Still, if you can get frozen that's either cheaper or just less hassle, then why not!

Personally I try to get fresh if I can.

regards

John the fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Well I don't really know if you can get frozen kiwi fruit or not??? I understood that it's one of those fruit that has such a high water content that freezing it just screws it up - like most melon!

John the fatbloke

no freezing it is perfecty fine
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-12-2007, 11:46 PM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

no freezing it is perfecty fine
                        Oh right, I didn't know that.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get down to the nearest branch of Iceland then to see just how extensive their selection of frozen fruit is

regards

John the fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Oh right, I didn't know that.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get down to the nearest branch of Iceland then to see just how extensive their selection of frozen fruit is

regards

John the fatbloke
                          Nope John, think Bob was sayin kiwi fruit is ok to freeze, he's not saying you can buy it frozen from the supermarket, if you get the gist... freezing breaks it down and makes most fruit easy to squish to a pulp after de frosting.
                          Last edited by Duffbeer; 18-12-2007, 11:53 PM.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                            Nope John, think Bob was sayin kiwi fruit is ok to freeze, he's not saying you can buy it frozen from the supermarket, if you get the gist... freezing breaks it down and makes most fruit easy to squish to a pulp after de frosting.

exactly so

regards
                            bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                              No, I guessed as much, but it just got me thinking about what frozen fruit is actually available if I look around properly. Most recipes seem to be in the region of 4 lb or so per gallon so I could probably get a few quite different ones. I run pallets into catering suppliers sometimes and I've noticed that they often have access to stuff that's not always openly available to the public.

I'll just have to keep my eyes open. In any case, it does seem that freezing kiwi fruit would be a good idea/suggestion.

regards

John the fatbloke

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Keep an eye peeled....

I run pallets into catering suppliers sometimes and I've noticed that they often have access to stuff that's not always openly available to the public.
                                Keep an eye peeled, those caterers have cases of goodies that will go out-of-date in the fridge...no harm just out...had a lot or two given to me...free is freeee John. Six cases of tangerines, six more orange, twelve cases of carrots...I gave most (all carrots) to charity food banks. Kept enough for a good mead or two for myself. Hey, my mead is for charity, give it away...just show up, help with the carring to save me backside. I will send you home with a quart or two.

The problem is after you get it...John is up all night processing, can't wait to hear that one John! It will happen...

Comment

Working...
                                X