X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard..

Did you follow the recipe exactly ??

The reason I ask is...

I stewarded in this class so I had the oppertunity to taste it.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• I chucked a vanilla pod in but other than that it was to the letter.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
        I chucked a vanilla pod in but other than that it was to the letter.
        Did the vanilla pod ease the bitterness from the orange pith? Mine was a tad bitter when I first tasted it about a month ago I have not tried it since as i have read that mead gets better and better so I plan on cracking one at Christmas
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
          Did the vanilla pod ease the bitterness from the orange pith? Mine was a tad bitter when I first tasted it about a month ago I have not tried it since as i have read that mead gets better and better so I plan on cracking one at Christmas
          Still a little bitter but it is young, I am hoping it comes good for Chrismas as well. The class it got entered in was Sweet Mead so the sweetness may have balanced things out a little. I'm going to have a look to see how the grape wines are getting on so I might have a sly taster from the comp bottle.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• Right, the stuff that I sweetened for the comp is pretty decent, just a slight bitterness detected. Other than that, pretty good.

Comment

Right, the stuff that I sweetened for the comp is pretty decent, just a slight bitterness detected. Other than that, pretty good.
              I am waiting but thinking that next time probably very soon I will zest my orange and get rid of the pith I do like the Vanilla bean Idea I'm thinking good change.Have you tried it with a D-47 yeast this really worked well not too dry either

Comment

• I got the vanilla idea from looking at DAW's recipes, can't say what yeast I used, must have spilled wine on my notes.

Comment

I got the vanilla idea from looking at DAW's recipes, can't say what yeast I used, must have spilled wine on my notes.
                  LOL too much Richard

Comment

I got the vanilla idea from looking at DAW's recipes, can't say what yeast I used, must have spilled wine on my notes.
                    There's a point! What ever happened to the Stockey DAW ? I haven't seen anything from him for ages. He posted some amazing sounding recipes!

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Well, I have just racked mine after 10 or 11 weeks. Now waiting to clear.

I've moved it to a warmer room a) to ensure the fermentation isn't going to kick off again, and b) to help with the degassing.

From what I have read, stabilising isn't required.

What range of SGs is 'right'?. The last time I measured, I had 1.006. It tastes very citrussy, a little spice, warming, but I think it might benefit from a little sweetening.
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                        There's a point! What ever happened to the Stockey DAW ? I haven't seen anything from him for ages. He posted some amazing sounding recipes!

regards

JtFB
                        I was wondering that the other day
                        He helped me quite a bit when I had my stuck cranberry wine.
                        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• so .....

SG of 1.006. Sweeten?
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                            so .....

SG of 1.006. Sweeten?
                            It's up to you Pete, taste it and if you like the level of sweetness leave it alone. If you wanted to enter it in a comp as a sweet mead it would want more sweetness.

Comment

• For me it seems about right when I sweeten it to 1.010 but as Richard says, sweeten to your own taste.

obviously draw off a sample and do bench trials first.
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Will do, boss

Would you sweeten with honey or sugar? I would guess the former, but I'm not sure if this would make the mead cloudy.
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X