• Hi Stuart
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by scotbrew View Post
      (Im the wrong side of 50 now)
      Wrong side of 60 now myself but no worries

Don't dismiss kits.....the Beverdale and Wine Expert reds are top notch
      Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• Welcome to the forums
        It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Greetings

Hello Folks

I've been making wine and beer for well over 30 years but never got around to joining a circle or guild or anything like that. I was browsing today and tripped over this site and thought - "why not?"

Comment

• Hi people , im ian
            im living in the north west of England. ive been into wine for a few years, As a child i would sit awe struck in my grans kitchen waiting to see which of her "bottles" would give out a little bubblle . now i have my own "bottles" and bubbles , Im upto nine gallions now and am not having to many problems so far . i like the idea of making something from and for (almost ) nothing rather than buying kits .
            righ ill shut up before i start to waffle .

Comment

• Welcome aboard Ian
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by keefjones View Post
                I've been making wine and beer for well over 30 years but never got around to joining a circle or guild or anything like that.
                welcome aboard Ian and Keef....why not join our "virtual wine circle"

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello

Well.. I've always wanted to try and make my own wines, so the other week I bought a kit and I'm currently in the throws of my first attempt. Visited my folks at the weekend and got talking to my Dad about making my own wine and it turned out he had pretty much a basic kit just sat there doing nothing in his garage, so needless to say this is now under my stairs waiting for me to purchase the little powdery bits I need to get cracking.

The forums look a great source of info, and I'm gonna need all the info I can get, wish me luck!

Jim

Comment

• Welcome, Jim.

Out of interest, what kit are you making?
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Having now visited a few sites I'm not sure I should say... It's a Youngs u Brew, Cabernet Sauvignon. The few things I've read have not been to favourable, yet I'm really excited to see how it comes out.

Comment

• Hi James

If you make it and like it....thats all that matters

welcome aboard
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi all

Hey all, a few weeks ago I started my first foray into home wine making (as opposed to glugging) spurred on by one of my work colleagues who grows her own produce and then bottles it.
                          She started me off with a few battered Demijohns, bungs etc, fired up my enthusiasm and gave me lots of tips.
                          My first batch of home made wine was made from Tea bags. I couldn't wait to try it and the end result wasn't half bad.
                          Since then I've scoured Ebay/local papers for DJ's and equipment and currently have four gallons of fruit juice wines fizzing away!
                          I've noticed strange things happening to me. I'll be driving along and spot something red growing in a hedge (I live in Cornwall)...''mmmm, wonder what that is and whether I can make it into wine' I wonder absent mindedly. Then there's the almost OCD like checking of the demijohns...first thing in the morning - kettle on, check they're still fizzing. Repeat several times a day with one final check before bed. Is all this normal and will this stage pass?
                          I've not experimented with recipes needing primary fermenters and such like (ark@me sounding like I know what I'm on about!) - have concentrated (no pun intended) on juice wines thus far. I'm sure I'll try other more complicated recipes later just as soon as I collect the necessary fermenting buckets etc.
                          Stumbled across your forum while looking for a strawberry juice wine. Liked the friendly vibe and the tip top tips.
                          I have lots of questions so I'm sure I'll be back often!
                          Tan

Comment

• Originally posted by Tania_uk View Post
                            Then there's the almost OCD like checking of the demijohns...first thing in the morning - kettle on, check they're still fizzing. Repeat several times a day with one final check before bed. Is all this normal and will this stage pass?
                            It is normal for winemakers....... and no....it wont pass

welcome aboard
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• OCD - you ought to try having NOTHING fermenting. I find myself wandering into rooms where there are normally fermenters, then wondering why I wandered in
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                                OCD - you ought to try having NOTHING fermenting. I find myself wandering into rooms where there are normally fermenters, then wondering why I wandered in
                                Here Pete suck on this it will help you get over the hump until grape fest. welcome to all. While Pete may be suffering from fermentation withdrawal his advice is usually good. Welcome
                                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X