Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi,

I am Ashley and I have just found this site after spending months reading winepress.us and winemakers mag. I am really happy as they are so USA based and I am from England (North Kent). I am a 'mature-ish' uni student and have been fermenting stuff for quite a few years now. I started off with cider, apple wine, medler wine, elderflower wine/fizzy (have never used the berrys yet, but we have hundreds of elder bushes where i live) and make lots of fruit spirts (sloe gin etc.). What I have going at the moment: apple port (aging), Mead (aging/clearing), red wine from neighbours grapes (aging).

Anyway I have just planted 27 vines (4x bachus, 4x solaris, 4 x pinotnoir (clone 1804 and 777) and a selection of 4 year old wine vines, trans planted from my neighbour (who has moved).

I would love lots of help and advise and would really like to help people havesting etc (in exchange for stealing their knowledge.....maybe even a buy few grapes to learn with till mine are ready). I would really have liked to have gone to the grapefest but I doubt I will be able to.

Thanks

Comment

• Hi Ashley,

Welcome aboard (and make sure you harvest those elderberries and get some Elderberry Port on the go this year )
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertie View Post
        I would really have liked to have gone to the grapefest but I doubt I will be able to.
        you dont need to decide till near the event

we have people travelling up from darn sarf...so maybe you could car share?

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi everyone,

my name is Joel, I'm originally from Braintree in Essex but having been living in New Zealand for nearly three years. I got into brewing in October last year when my wife bought me a starter kit for my birthday. I've now brewed 4 beers, and am loving homebrew beer!

I decided to make cider from store bought apple juice a few months ago and bought a some wine equipment. I then discovered this website and thought I'd give some simple winemaking a go. However my plan to make wine number 1 got hijacked by a large bag of free feijoas (a really aromatic fruit from South America that grows well here) and made feijoa wine. This is racked and clearing now and I just got a wine number 1 on the go (grape and apple as per original recipe) to help keep me from drinking the feijoa wine before the end of the year! Also bought the juices for a wine number 2 to start soon. Unfortunately I have limited space as equipment is very expensive here. I also want to try making a nice full bodied red wine kit but finding a good 1 gallon kit here to try it out is impossible, they only stock the 5 gallon kits but I'll keep looking.

Thank you for a great forum and set of tutorials, I'm gonna have lots of fun making wines.

Comment

• Hi Joel.

Welcome to the forum..i'm fairly new to wine making myself,,but there's a great bunch of folks here,,so i'm sure your questions will be answered..
            Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

• Welcome, Joel.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Welcome aboard Joel
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Im back

Hi all, its been a wile since i showed my presence on here. hope all are well...

Comment

• Hi Alan

welcome back

regards
                    bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      Hi Alan

welcome back

regards
                      bob
                      thanks bob, i hope all is going well, the site looks so much more advanced

Comment

• Very noob noob

Hiya i am a complete novice at this wine making malarkey and am running on a budget. i currently don't have any demijohns so am gonna use a couple of 5l pet water bottles, going to use water on my Geordie bitter kit have also purchased a wine kit from Wilkinson's young's definitive wine strawberry. i am going to try your wine number 1 tutorial . thing is i never spend more than £5 on a bottle of wine so how will your wines and cheap kit wines compare to budget supermarket wines. thanks for you patience

Comment

• Wine No1 will be the equivalent (some think better) than your £5 supermarket wine

welcome aboard, and welcome to the wonderful world of wine making

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Very noob noob

Oh BTW I'm not trying to put down more expensive wines its just a matter of costs for me,i cant afford the £10 plus bottles unfortunately. I'm hoping to progress to making better wines and will try and follow the tutorials. Before i found this forum i found this recipe and got ingredients. Wurzels orange wine http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/vi...4ecc99b582b106 so have done this today. will start wine 1 as soon as this is done.

Comment

• Hi there,

I've been a member of this forum for quite sometime but haven't posted anything until now. I'm a student teacher whose just moved to Bristol to study. I used to make lots of country wines but have been turned to kits because of their simplicity, speed, reasonable cost and reliable results.

I mainly make California Connoisseur and Beaverdale 6 bottle kits and tend to stick to the Whites and Roses as the Reds sometimes disappoint. I think I must have been through all the the whites and roses that those two kits supply and haven't found one I haven't liked.

I've dabbled in Beer kits too, such as Wherry, and enjoyed the results but I'm more of a wino

Occasionally when the season's right I still like making Elderberry wine, Blackberry wine and Strawberry wine.

This is a great forum full of superb advice and it's an asset to the internet.

Cheers

Darren
                              Last edited by dpile1; 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM.
                              Feel the Zin

Comment

• welcome welcome welcome all of you

Darren...Try the beaverdale Barolo or Rioja, but dont use the yeast that comes with the kit, replace it with a good quality one (lalvin RC-212 or Gervin No2) and perhaps add approx 50g chopped sultanas (for the 6 bottle kit)

should give you much better results

reghards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X