No announcement yet.

VWC Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open class as you are aware was judges usaing the ucdavis system, and marked out of 20 points, awards given as follows

GOLD 17.5 to 20 points

Tom Keys Grape/apple/gooseberry
    ScoPa Strawberry
    Goldseal Wine No1 and gooseberry
    Spritzer Pinot Noir
    Medpretzel Juniper sweet

Silver Awards 15 to 17 points
    Tom Keys Grape/quince
    Lockwood1956 sauvignon blanc
    Lockwood1956 Montepulciano
    Spritzer Blackberry/elderberry
    Spritzer Apple/elderflower
    Zeb Elderberry/blackberry
    Medpretzel JAOM
    Omniata Strawberry
    Omniata Port
    Lockwood1956 icewine
    Lockwood1956 xmas pudding
    Lockwood1956 elderberry port

Bronze Awards 12.5 to 14.5 points
    Omniata Ginger
    Andirou Blackberry port
    Andirou Wine No1 with Ginger and Elder
    Omniata Port
    Richard_s xmas pudding
    Kampervan grape/apple/raspberry
    Kampervan Summer fruits
    Medpretzel Elderflower/lavender/crysanthemum
    Kampervan raspberrt
    Goldseal wine No1 and elderflower
    Alcopop Pomegranite
    S Bridge Grape/apple/passionfruit
    Scopa Wine No1
    Andirou Wine No1
    Goldseal Tinned strawberry
    Wurzel Pomegranite
    Solly Strawberry
    Zeb xmas pudding
    Wurzel Parsnip
    Richard_s sweet red kit
    wipka cyser

Honourable Mention 11 to 12 points
    Ben arnold raspberry
    ScoPa raspberrygrape
    David Melville No2 rose
    Alcopop Strawberry

thank you to you all, a real pleasure to have the honour of sampling your craftwork.....top job

there were 2 wines that truly stood out, and if there were a platignum award they would have it

the strawberry submitted by scoPa and the wine No1 and gooseberry submitted by goldseal both stunning wines....

(recipes and method please........) these were my joint winners of best wine in show VWC

we simply must do this again...pictures later....i need to shower and get ready for evening "do"

thanks again
    regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-08-2009, 01:16 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Well done guy's, it was a pleasure to taste some splendid wines, I had the pleasure of judging the white dry with Richard-S & then benefiting from tasting the good wines from the open class that Bob judged right at the side of us.

A splendid day indeed
      Last edited by Duffbeer; 18-08-2009, 12:41 PM.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• On a side note there was a ginger wine that looked really strange as it was very very bright green....

it surprised me, as i was wary because of the colour....but it was really quite good (Idont like ginger either)

and ..........

the sweet Parsnip submitted by wurzel was very well made, and I am forced to admit it..........a good wine.....certainly the best parsnip wine i have tasted to date
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Excellent guys and gals!! Congratulations to the winners, and a hearty pat on the back to everyone who participated!

One other thing. We all know Tom Keys knows how to ferment, but to you other gold winners... outstanding job. Placing gold, as most of the veterans will tell you, is quite an achievement.

(Martina, a gold on the Juniper - brilliant. Be sure to jab Bob from time to time, just to keep his ego in check. )
          Steve

Comment

• This is the first big wine show I have entered (only local horticultural shows before) to say I am pleased would be an understatement as I was not expecting anything!

I am gobsmacked, stoked and over the moon
            Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• I'm glad I even got on the rankings

I would like to know which "port" came where, although probably a little late to ask
              There was an A and a B
              Both were flavoured with different oaks, just bottled them today, one's a tiny touch hot and the others quite mellow. Although both slightly tawny from oxidation...

The strawbery was a lovely blush pink when I started it, I was upset when it had oxidised

Oh well, as I said, glad they scored

And before I forget congratulations to everyone else
              Last edited by Omniata; 15-08-2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: Add note...
              ex ovo omnia
              Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

• 2nd in dry white and not even been doing this a year, plus 3 bronze over the moon
                http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Can't believe it.
                  A 6th in dry white, a Bronze and and a mention is more than I could have wished for. The Cucumber the oldest that I sent in (not quite a year) was due for the sink 9 months ago.
                  Thanks for the hard work that you have all put into this.

Terry

Comment

• Well done Wurzel.. cracking result.. n to all others well done.. I am very pleased with my 2 bronze which were in line with my own tasting based on Bob's sheet. This has helped me to be judge my wines more subjectively plus I've enjoyed the experience of my 1st competition. Thanks again to Bob for all the effort he has put in organising the 1st VWC.
                    To err is human.. to drink divine...

Comment

• Congratulations to Goldseal, ScoPa, Tom Keys, C Murray, Medpretzel, Wurzel, Kampervan, Lockwood and everyone else that entered, bet everyone who attened there had a cracking day.

No matter where you came in the competition everyone can be proud of their efforts

For me a bronze is about the only high point for 2009, nearly died in January - Started wine making again in April after a break of 25 years - and a bronze after only a few months of starting wine making again

Congratulations again to everyone who entered and good luck for next year and indeed the coming months in wine making

Comment

• Originally posted by Andirou View Post
                        Thanks again to Bob for all the effort he has put in organising the 1st VWC.
                        Second that!
                        Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• I think you've started something really good here, Bob
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by Omniata View Post
                            I would like to know which "port" came where, although probably a little late to ask
                            There was an A and a B

No not too late to ask Port A scored Bronze and Port B Silver..both cracking efforts and both will get better with age, and for me ...a little more oak...(probably American White oak for the vanilla profile it will give them)

How wonderful to awake from my slumbers and Birthday lay in to find your nice comments waiting for me.

It was a joy to do, and it caused a bit of a stir, with everyone wanting to know what it was all about, everyone thought it was a good idea, and we most certainly will be doing it again.

I'm off now to stick all the marking sheets in envelopes for posting out to you all in the morning.

Some have detailed comments where I felt I had advice to offer, others just marks...

I was called away from the show bench many times through the day (was also convenor of Judges at the event) so there isnt as much detail on the sheets as I would have liked, and will eb sure to make time for more detailed comments the next time we do it..

Autumn competition anyone?
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              No not too late to ask Port A scored Bronze and Port B Silver..both cracking efforts and both will get better with age, and for me ...a little more oak...(probably American White oak for the vanilla profile it will give them)

Autumn competition anyone?
                              Thanks Bob, the "A" had "coarse" medium French oak chippings and the "B" had "light/medium" shredded American oak...
                              A good handful were in both for a couple of weeks and swirled every couple of days, I was fightened of over doing it with them being the first wines I'd "oaked" haha...

Sadly I prefer the A as it's slightly sweeter on the palette and not as hot...
                              They've both been aged for well over 15 months now, just bottled.
                              I got six bottles out of both batches even with taking some out for judging

Not sure on an Autumn comp for me, I might not have any more ready this side of Christmas. But I'll certainly be in on next years

Happy Birthday Bob!!!
                              ex ovo omnia
                              Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

• OK
                                feedback sheets on their way to you for the Open class.....(sent you the actual marking sheet used on the day)

The dry white class was judged in the traditional way and places awaarded 1 to 6 so no feedback sheets for those.

Please let us have your feedback as to what you liked and what you didn't

To those of you who placed or won awards..well done

to those that didnt, I have tried to give constructive feedback to help you score better next time.

To all of you..thank you for your support in this venture, we most certainly will do it again.

I got a rush reading the comments you all posted this morning, it reminded me of how I felt when I got my first ever honourable mention, I got more of a rush that day than I did from subsequent best in show awards etc.

I like this system of judging, as it allows the judge to know what is in the bottle, and so (I feel) better feedback can be given, also there is not the pressure of competing against other cometitors, the wine being judged solely on its own merits

cheers me dears
                                Bob and Martina
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X