No announcement yet.

Dandelion Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweeten it by the glass Chris....adding sugar and stirring is good for coffee and tea, but also works for wine.....

make notes how much sugar addition seems "right" for you

this will help for future batches.

Also a note, flower wines do not carry enough body to balance 15% alc, 10% is nearer the mark.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks, that sounds easy enough for the quanity I have. I guess it's too late to start diluting it? No worries, St George's day will rattle round soon enough and I will give it another go, aiming for a better balance and a lower alcohol content as you suggest. I can imagine something altogether lighter might be quite palatable.

I have cut way back on the sugar in my elderflower this (last) year, as previous batches were too overpowering. Hopefully I'll get something a lot lighter (about 11% was my goal). At present it shows no signs of clearing, despite being in the outbuildings all winter, so I'm reluctant to sample it yet. Any ideas?
      You add how much sugar.....?

Comment

Some Ritchie's Kwik Clear will likely help in this regard.

In case you aren't familiar with the product, its a two part fining's, I think it works wonders!

(Wine needs to be at room temp though)

Sugar content of your must needs to be right to achieve balance in end product, and to ensure it is drinkable within a reasonable time frame. Measure sugar using your hydrometer (for it is your friend!) and ignore the amount quoted in recipes, especially older recipes, and double especially CJJJJJJJ Berry recipes.

regards
        bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 27-01-2009, 09:09 AM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well, mine's been sat in the garage now for about 8 months, and altho it's clearing slowly, it still looks, tatses and smells foul... I'll leave it for another 6 months maybe and see where we are, but I don't think I'll be making any more in a hurry!
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Mine's nice

*Looks smug, and ducks missiles being thrown in contempt*
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
              Mine's nice

*Looks smug, and ducks missiles being thrown in contempt*
              PAH! I've booby trapped your house now, so be careful...
              HRH Her Lushness

Comment

ROFLMFAO

I'm also making the OH walk ahead of me through doors etc. and I definitely won't be turning the cooker on
                Let's party

Comment

...I'd also advise you to keep the lights on tonight when you go to bed...

Not so smug now are you?
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Ooo-err - I'm scared now
                    Let's party

Comment

Yerrrr riiiiight!
                      HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        Some Ritchie's Kwik Clear will likely help in this regard.

Measure sugar using your hydrometer (for it is your friend!) and ignore the amount quoted in recipes, especially older recipes, and double especially CJJJJJJJ Berry recipes.
                        Wish I saw this a few weeks ago!!
                        I started a batch using CJJ Berry's second recipe in the book I have. All that was in that was the dandelion and the zest and juice of four oranges (to one gallon). He said three pounds of sugar which gave a sky high SG of about 1.110. I had a quick taste last night and it's almost dry but OH MY GOD it's rough!. Berry says to leave till Christmas and drink...will I need to sweeten or add anything else before I mature? I see above that flower wines can only really take 10% alcohol?

Any advice appreciated. This is my first attempt at true "hunter gatherer" wine.
                        Last edited by piagio2000; 05-05-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

If it's any consolation, I made some Dandelion wine this time last year, and it still tatses BL00DY AWFUL to put it politely!

I'm only keeping it out of sheer stubborness to see if maturing it 5 years plus will improve it - personally I have my doubts, but there you go. Rest assured that unless I tatse some that's nice, I won't be making any more.

I also hold a chap at work 100% responsible for my making some after he told me that his Mum used to make dandelion wine at that it tasted divine. ( I now know him better and I can't help thinking that he was winding me up)
                          HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Mine's even better now : moon2:

Looks in Yellow Pages for bodyguard to protect against Lush's vengeance
                            Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                              Mine's even better now : moon2:

Looks in Yellow Pages for bodyguard to protect against Lush's vengeance
                              S'ok, all my wrath is directed at my new boss, to everyone else it's all peace and love this week... and copious amounts of wine to numb the pain of being at work... hic
                              HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Not Dandelion though, huh?

(tee-hee-hee)
                                Let's party

Comment

Working...
                                X