Clearing Gooseberry Wine. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing Gooseberry Wine. Any ideas?

Started this wine in July 07. Should I just be patient and continue to rack it approximately every month in the hope it clears?

I did use pectic enzyme and I have checked it with the Meths test and no globules formed, so I don't think it's a pectin haze.

Don't have any iodine handy at the moment to test for starch. Any other suggestions............or do I just need to be a bit more patient.

Don't really want this one to go awry as the Gooseberrys were kindly donated from my Father in laws organic allotment. Would be really good to have a few bottles for him by Father's Day next year.

What proceedures have you tried so far ? finings etc or leaving it out in the cold can work, also heavily gassed wines can prove difficult to clear.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yes, be sure it is degassed fully, then it will be easier to clear. If it is only a gallon, easy to put in the fridge for a few weeks for cold stabilizing. Even a coarse filtering could help. Can you post a photo of it?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist View Post
        Started this wine in July 07. Should I just be patient and continue to rack it approximately every month in the hope it clears?

I did use pectic enzyme and I have checked it with the Meths test and no globules formed, so I don't think it's a pectin haze.

Don't have any iodine handy at the moment to test for starch. Any other suggestions............or do I just need to be a bit more patient.

Don't really want this one to go awry as the Gooseberrys were kindly donated from my Father in laws organic allotment. Would be really good to have a few bottles for him by Father's Day next year.
        Have you tried a product that includes Kieselsol and Chitosan? These have both the negative and positive ability for clearing wine - mead within 10 days or less (I have found). They are sold here as Claro K.C or by Spagnoles another brand name. These are two part clarifiers and they sure do wonders for me? Cheers DAW

Comment

Failing all that just leave it somewhere dark and cold and forget it for a while. July isn't all that long ago so give it a chance to do its own thing in its own time
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Oh yes, I firmly agree to that!

I reckon I am always assuming when someone has a clearing problem, the wine has sat cloudy for way too long. 3 or 4 months is definitely not a long time to wait for a wine to clear. Now 2 years is way too long!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Thank you all

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. I am going to put this demijohn in a safe spot in the garage to see if the temperature drop will help with the clearing.

Had thought about finings, but don't really want to use them unless I have to. Overall I get the feeling from the forum that you shouldn't use them unless you absolutely have to? I'm assuming that they impart a taste to the wine?

So I'm off to put the demijohn in the garage and to wait, and wait and to wait some more.

Thanks again for all your advice. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Overall I get the feeling from the forum that you shouldn't use them unless you absolutely have to? I'm assuming that they impart a taste to the wine?
                I've never got that feeling. I've used various finings with success. I haven't had off flavours in my wines.

Maybe someone else here on the forum with more experience can give some input?
                Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                Twitter: VirtualWineO
                Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Finings, if not overused, are a winemaker's friend. I would try the two part Kieselsol/Chitosan remedy DAW suggests. That will clear almost anything without stripping flavour or aroma.
                  Steve

Comment

I use finings for most of my brews without problems. I suggest DAW's advice, Kieselsol and Chitosan make a powerful clearing combo, then filter for the final polish.
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Ok.....will have a look in the shop next time I'm in there

Thanks everyone.

Can't you tell I'm new to all this

I will have a look in the brew shop next time I'm in for Kieselsol and Chitosan.

I have a feeling I might be needing them as I continue to experiment with this hobby.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Can't you tell I'm new to all this

I will have a look in the brew shop next time I'm in for Kieselsol and Chitosan.

I have a feeling I might be needing them as I continue to experiment with this hobby.
                        This is the latest new thing. Many of the wine kits has this included. It works great in fruit wines also. Cheers DAW

Comment

Thanks

Picture of the Gooseberry wine now in 'Photos' file under 'First attempt'.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Comment

You're welcome.
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
                            X