Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinned Strawberry

Hi all

I followed the recipe for tinned strawberry wine and everything went ok but when the sg got to bout 1.020ish the wine lost it's colour. It tastes and smells like strawberry but the colour is more like a white wine, eg chardonnay etc. Any idea why this might have happened?

hmmmm

couple of questions...

has it been in direct sunlight?.

and what yeast did you use?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I was talkin to Mark about this earlier on and told him to post this question on here. AFAIK there has been no direct sunlight, he possibly used gen purpose yeast.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Could it have been the Youngs so called super yeast? My ribena wine turned pale, which I used this cheapo yeast in. Used quality stuff ever since mind...

Rich

Comment

Also meant to ask, how much colour has it lost?

it doesnt stay strawberry coloured, but goes a light brown/straw/orange colour.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Like Mark says, it looks like a normal white wine, more a straw colour than strawberry. The batch I did is still fine after 6 months and I used the dreaded youngs gp yeast.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Well sometimes wine musts have a mind of their own, Wine is alive and so will evolve in many different ways.

Any variables in recipe/method between your batch and Mark's?

what temperature was it fermented at?
              was a yeast starter used?
              any additions/tweaks to the original recipe?

my latest batch is the reddest yet, sometimes it ends up lighter than others.....
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Mine is a sort of pale pinky/apricotty and I only ever use GP yeast.

Did you filter it? Sometimes that strips the colour a bit.

Does it still taste like wine, and is it comensurate in taste with the final gravity reading?

(Coo, I dunno, you ask a question and instead of an answer you get loads of questions back. Tuh!)
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

You didn't add any sulphite at this point, right?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I find Strawberries are very peculiar that way. Much different than Raspberries that hold the color. I have used fresh strawberries a number of times and they start out fine in the primary and secondary fermentation stage (alcohol production) and maintain the nice red color. Then after fining and clearing the surprise; the color changes to a golden - amber (coppery red) and then slightly lessens as it ages. These colors have also changed from different strawberry's crops and it may also be something to do with the kind (variety) of strawberry being used? -- some strawberries are red all the way through some are red on the outside and more whitish on the inside - possibly the juices are also clear in some and more red or pinkish in others? Interesting query. DAW

Comment

Good points, DAW. Will increasing the sulphite a tad and starting fermentation faster help keep some of the color? Maybe add a tad sulphite when transferred to glass to finish fermenting? Might just need to add food coloring to it before bottling.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Some good stuff here guys, thanks. I will make sure Mark reads this later.

If anything, the only thing I can think of that any of you have mentioned is the fermentation temp, it could have been a bit on the warm side.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                          Some good stuff here guys, thanks. I will make sure Mark reads this later.

If anything, the only thing I can think of that any of you have mentioned is the fermentation temp, it could have been a bit on the warm side.

Cheers
                          Good points, DAW. Will increasing the sulphite a tad and starting fermentation faster help keep some of the color? Maybe add a tad sulphite when transferred to glass to finish fermenting? Might just need to add food coloring to it before bottling.

Ya I guess that some have been using food coloring to get back some of the color. I have always used sulphite because of the fresh berries that I use initially in the primary fermentation process and then more added after the fining stage. It seems that the red pigment color is lost during the clearing - does the color pigments drop with all the lees and debris in the young wine? My question would be why not in the raspberry it is going through the same process?

I always get a good fast start during primary ferment; approximately 70-75 F degrees temperature - maybe a cooler temperature would save the color pigments? Is it something to do with the many seeds in the strawberries? fermenting on the pulp for to long? Interesting comments. We need a food Scientist? Cheers DAW

Comment

Here is some very interesting high tech stuff - the explanation for the degradation of the strawberry red pigmentation is within these biochemistry studies. If you are able to totally understand great for you. If you could put it into layman's terms please let us know. Cheers DAW

Comment

thanks for the response, helped alot

Comment

Working...
                              X