Pear wine recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pear wine recipe?

I have 12 lbs of pears in the freezer. Can I make 2 gals of pear wine from this or would I need some other fruit/ grape juice added to bulk it out?

Does anyone have a tried and tested pear wine recipe they could share with me?

Cheers,

Paul

I tried Pear wine not long ago and it's doing well now.
    heres the thread;
    http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1399
    Be luckysigpic

Comment

Sounds more like a 1 gallon job to me. Normally with pome fruits like apples and pears, they are pressed and the juice used full strength without the pulp.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
        the juice used full strength
        Is that not the methode for Cider and Perry dude?
        Be luckysigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valleydaz View Post
          Is that not the methode for Cider and Perry dude?
          Strictly speaking yes - but traditional ciders/perrys are made only from the juice and wild/natural yeasts.

so I'd guess that if it's the juice and a wine yeast (possibly even water to top the levels off and maybe sugar of some sort to be able to better manage the SG/OG) would surely make it more "wine like" than cider.

Personally I'd still "whiz" the fruit and press it, then make it up to 2 gallons with water - using sugar of some kind to set the SG and pitch a wine yeast.

Oh and I'd use pectolase as well.

regards

John the fatbloke
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I just made some pear wine....I froze the pears...defrosted them and then pressed them, added sugar syrup to the juice to get it to about 1.080 as it was at around 1.050 with just the juice.

on a side note....I have just this evening returned from Germany, travelling through Holland and Belgium....

you fancy meeting up for a beer next time I'm down that way Valleydaz?
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-12-2007, 11:28 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yes, I would for sure adjust acid and SG and use pectolase and yeast nutrient. The size batch would depend on how much juice you get and then the addition of sugar syrup. If you add too much water it will be a very bland wine. It might be a very bland wine with just the juice. Might oughta count this one as an experiment with a 1 gallon batch. Before the pears fall next year, you might decide to buy a nice apple press and then pick up alot of pears. You might also need a larger freezer !

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956
                on a side note....I have just this evening returned from Germany, travelling through Holland and Belgium....

you fancy meeting up for a beer next time I'm down that way Valleydaz?
                Sure Bob, let me know when your in the neighbourhood.
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 25-01-2008, 09:07 PM.
                Be luckysigpic

Comment

Working...
                X