Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tinned fruit wine?

Hi guys,

I am new to these froums and have been making my own wines fro about 1.5 years now.

I was hoping somebody can give an opinion on what you think are the best tinned/jarred fruits to make wine from. I love elderberry, sloe and blackberry wine which I have all made using fresh fruits.

I am about to make a gallon of bilberry wine using a 460g jar (drained - 200g) of polish bilberries in syrup. I have heard bilberries make the best red fruit wine of all! Apparently 1 x 460g jar is enough to make 1 gallon, with the addition of 250ml of red grape concentrate. This should give a decent body to the wine.

I would imagine tinned strabwerries and also tinned blackcurrants make a great wine as well. Can anybody comment on the difference between Riberna wine and tinned blackcurrant wine? Ribena sounds a lot easier to me ......

Thanks!

Hi Old Thumper, glad you could join us.

My Ribena wine has turned out awesome every time I've made it. Tinned strawberries made a great wine as did tinned peach. Pear took a long, long time to clear but was great when it did, and apricot was good too. Search the recipe section and you'll find loads of ideas.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Thanks Mamgiowl!

i will give Ribena a go when I have a free demijohn.

I just started my 2 gallons of bilberry so will report in the coming months what it turns out like. I have not been able to find many recipes at all for this wine so I am just hoping it goes ok....

One quick question though: I bought some Young's Burgundy Red yeast (a sachet to make 5 gallons) and I am not 100% sure the best way to use it. As far as I know I can either add 1 level teaspoon direct to the must OR make a starter solution by adding 1 teaspoon to half a cup of warm water and leaving it 15 mins to activate the yeast. I assume either method does not affect the final wine???.....In the past I have always used Youngs general purpose wine yeast and added 1 level teaspoon per gallon direct to the must without any problem. This is my first time using a Burgundy yeast....

Comment

A yeast starter is best, put a little sugar 1/4 tsp of citric acid, 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient and 1 tsp of your yeast into a jug of warm water and stir, leave for 30mins or more untill its active then add to your must, it will in most cases start an immidiate ferment.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

It's all good...

Hello, and welcome to the forum...it is all good, some better than others. Some tinned fruit blends are very good...cherry, blackberry, blueberry, elderberry with rouge concentrate taste like a fine cab.

Comment

I've tried tinned pears, peaches, apricots, all in sugar syrup. All have worked well.

Ribena has some additives and is more dilute than canned blackcurrant juice. Last time I used Ribena, the fermentation stuck but we got there in the end

My standard yeast starter is a level tsp of sugar and a pinch of nutrient added to a 250ml beer bottle half full of tepid water. Shake well and then sprinkle yeast on the surface of the water (usually a fifth of a packet) and stand the bottle near a warm place (by the cooker in my house). In 30 mins, the yeast will have sunk and the top of the water should have some froth, indicating that the yeast is active.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_ View Post
              My standard yeast starter is a level tsp of sugar and a pinch of nutrient added to a 250ml beer bottle half full of tepid water. Shake well and then sprinkle yeast on the surface of the water (usually a fifth of a packet) and stand the bottle near a warm place (by the cooker in my house). In 30 mins, the yeast will have sunk and the top of the water should have some froth, indicating that the yeast is active.
              that will likely work nearly all of the time, however yeast need minerals (phosphates) and vitamins (b1) too, a good nutrient will contain these, for they are important in the lag phase (where the yeast colony expands) and always add more than a pinch of nutrient, and also a little acid is good too, yeast like acid environments
              info on starters here
              All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in

the stronger the starter is, the less trouble you will have later

hope this helps
              regards
              Bob

see here for more info on yeast starters
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
              X