Nylon Straining Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon Straining Bags

Can you re-use them and if so what would be the best way to clean them, could you boil them in water would that do it?
    Regards Scott.......
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
    Can you re-use them and if so what would be the best way to clean them, could you boil them in water would that do it?
    Regards Scott.......
    Sorry Scott I can not say to reuse any straining bags. You may get away with it but being not very expensive I always just toss them along with the spent fruit/berries after one use. There are so many places the bacteria can hide? I just do not reuse them. My opinion. Daw

Comment

I usually re-use mine, maybe I'm more of a tight-wad than others.

When I've discarded the fruit I turn the bag inside out and rinse it under a fast running tap so any loose bits of pulp gets flushed away. Then I wash it and soak it in Milton for a while, squeeze and dry. Next time I use it I usually flush it under that tap again. Never had any problems yet.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Daw, Mamgiowl,

I only asked because the one I bought was £6 and it would just add more expense to keep buying one each time so just wondered if you could somehow re-use them safely,
        I might just try your method Mamgiowl and see what it looks and smells like after soaking,

thanks Daw, Mamgiowl,

Best regards Scott...

Comment

I use them, then bin the pulp, rinse the bag like Jan says i.e. inside out and then bleach it to remove any staining (yes the nylon does stain).

Then rinse thoroughly to remove the bleach and dry out and store.

I then soak in sterilising/sanitising solution for 10 to 20 minutes, rinse thoroughly again and re-use.

regards

JtFB

p.s Oh and if I see that any of the seams are starting to strain or come apart I bin it.
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Good man John I think I will give it a soak over night, its a pinkish red at the mo!

Regards Scott...

Comment

I use them in my fruit press, and Milton (or Tesco 'My Baby' fluid - at less than half the cost) will clean them up at treat. They also require a bit of darning after a season in the press.
              My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Cheers David mine has only had the one outing up to now, but hopefully will have a few more and I will have a look at the Milton

Regards Scott...

Comment

I rince mine out thouroughy after use, then when I come to use it again I boil it up 5 min will ill any bugs.

Comment

Again to follow others here, rinse well and soak in a sterilizing solution, if your wife is tolerant put them in the washing machine a soak in bleach to remove staining will not harm provided well rinsed, but I would dis-guard when physical damage is obvious.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Paint straining bags are very cheap. I would just toss them after use. I would not use bleach around anything I use in my winemaking. Personal preference ?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I chuck mine, too. Tried cleaning one once and spent way too much time trying to clean the yeasty bits out of it.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                          I chuck mine, too. Tried cleaning one once and spent way too much time trying to clean the yeasty bits out of it.
                          They must be something that is a lot cheaper over that side of the pond than they are over here, i have a couple but they are used for straining, put thro the washing machine, sanitised and re used. Dont have enough to use them with the must.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just a couple of other points concerning these nylon straining bags: Check around at a good material retail store (place where there is sewing materials for making clothing - you just may find a large piece of clothing material that you can purchase and make into your own bags. Also these plastics, nylons can absorb as well as release unwanted things into the wine - if they have been soaked in a bleach or chlorine sanitizing solution these could end up giving some unwanted flavors to the must. You can purchase the paint straining bags here for approx 2.50$ and I sure agree that in my process once used then discarded. I sure could make better use of the spent berries or fruit and dump them into a compost but I do not have this available at my location. Cheers Daw

Comment

Problem here is that straining bags cost around $12-$15

so I rinse mine, sanitise and reuse.

chemipro oxiclean cleans them a treat (no rinse cleaner too!)....available from Brupaks stockists

hope this helps
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X