Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fig wine

has anyone ever made fig wine from tinned figs in syrup

Not as the main ingredient, but I've added figs (canned and dry) to other wines as a flavoring agent.

You might want to take a look at the tutorial thread on Tinned Wine.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

Figs would add body to the wine, but I'm not sure they would be a good standalone ingredient
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Welcome to the forum flower

....I have moved this thread to here, as it was in the tutorials section.

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Actually, there is a good gentleman in Louisiana who makes very good Fig wine from his own turkey fig plants. I have had problems getting the ol' boy to join this forum.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

could you get the recipe for me

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
              could you get the recipe for me
              Fig Wine

Two 1lb 3oz tins of figs (U.S. two 16 fl oz)
              2 1/4 lb sugar (U.S. 1 3/4 lb.)
              1 tablespoon citric acid (U.S. 2 tablespoons)
              1/2 teaspoon tannin
              1 tablespoon depectiniser (U.S. 2 tablespoons)
              1 yeast nutrient tablet
              General purpose wine yeast
              Water to 1 gallon

It then says
              Method "A", as for Apricot

That's verbatim from CJJ's "Winemaking with Canned & Dried Fruit". It's the recipe for canned figs.

Fig Wine

2lb dried figs
              2 1/2 lb sugar (U.S. 2lb)
              1 teaspoon tannin
              1 nutrient tablet
              Wine yeast
              Water to 1 gallon

Juice method

That's what it says about using dried figs.

So for the first recipe i.e. canned figs he says

"In making some wines, notably those from stone fruit, the use of a pectin-destroying enzyme such as Pektolase is desireable to assist flavour extraction and prevent pectin hazes. the pectin enzyme is added when the must has cooled and is then given 24 hours to do its work before the yeast is added. This we call in the recipes Method "A", as used for Apricot wine."

Whereas, with the "juice method" mentioned with the dried figs recipe, he says

"JUICE METHOD: Here we soak the fruit in about five pints of water for, say, 12 hours, and then bring the whole to the boil and simmer for five to six minutes, thus extracting the flavour. The liquid is then strained off and the sugar stirred into it. Then, when it is cool, tannin, nutrient, and yeast added. Usually a little head-space is left at this stage until the fermentation quietens. A week or so later the jar is topped up with cold water and the air lock fitted. Thereafter fermentation and racking, etc., proceed as usual."

The only thing to bear in mind, might be that as Bob suggests, some of CJJ's recipes do seem quite heavy on the sugar.

My copy of the book is marked "Fourteenth Impression 1974", but it was first published in 1968.

So if you're gonna try one of these, then it might be sensible to measure out the weight of sugar, but not add it all (maybe half) and then check the gravity with a hydrometer.

Lots of the more experienced wine makers here, seem to prefer starting with a gravity reading of 1080 to 1090 so it's all about choosing where you want to start, which yeast etc.

Of course, where it says about "nutrient tablets", I'm guessing that it might be good to get some "proper" yeast nutrient like Tronozymol instead - AFAIK, old style nutrient tablets just had vitamin B1 in them (might be wrong though).

Hope that helps some.

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

If I ever hear from him again, I will get the recipe. He belongs to one of the Yahoo winemaking groups and will not join a regular forum. He is rarely online at all. I keep meaning to take a trip down there to trade wine, and maybe fish some. He don't live far down in Louisiana. So when I see him online to ask his address, I will ask for the recipe. He uses fresh ripe figs.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Just a word of caution here

Any recipe you see by CJJ Berry will need to have the amount of sugar modified, these recipes were put together when sugar was less refined than it is now, so use your hydrometer (It is your friend!!!) and add sugar till SG reaches around 1.080 to 1.090.....

I generally find there is around 1/2 to 3/4 lb too much listed in these recipes.

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                  X