Strawberry wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry wine

i went out strawberry picking the other day and got 6 1/2 pounds of strawberrys for a wine.

its a 2 gallon batch.
    6 1/2lbs fresh strawberrys
    2k sugar
    champange yeast
    yeast nutrient
    2 tsp citric acid
    1/2tsp wine tannin
    1 campden tablet
    10pints of water, then up to 2gallons

its currently fermenting in primary in a bucket and on the seventh day i shall strain it into two demijohns.

if anyone would like to give me any adivce feel free as this is my first wine

Generaly sounds fine to me other than straining on the seventh day, it could have fermented dry by then, best to check with your hydrometer and rack/strain when sg is about 1.030 placing under airlock. Also remember so stir at least twice daily to stop the cap becoming dry/contaminated. Have fun!!

P.S Too late now but I would have added some grape juice/concentrate or maybe you could still add some minced sultanas for a little body.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

If you haven't added an enzyme to break down pectin, you for sure need to add it as soon as possible.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Eye good spot Glenval, It will be called pectolase or pectinase your home brew shop will sell it, without it your wine will likely not clear, and welcome to wines at home btw.
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

i did add a packet of pectin enzyme but didnt note it down, but i shall add a small handful of sultanas now.

and i will rack it when its at 1.030, how long shall i age it in the demi's for?

and thanks, this is a very good forum but i never had anything good to say other than sharing ym wine.

Comment

Did you take an sg reading at the start, i'm just curious.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

my gravity reading was 1.094

Comment

My first batch of tinned strawberry started off at 1.100. The smell and flavour was great but the wine was also hot tasting (out of balance due to too much alcahol). I have another batch that is clearing now which was started at 1.080ish, early indications (sly tasting) show a much better wine.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by warboss100 View Post
                  how long shall i age it in the demi's for?
                  Once fermented out and stabalised, rack and de-gass, leave to clear and rack again.
                  I would suggest aging for about 6 months, but I'm sure it won't last that long
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I'm in the midst of making a batch of strawberry myself. In addition to what's been mentioned, here's a couple of things I will add..

I hope you put everything into a straining bag (a jelly bag works nice for this). After about 4-5 days, you'll want to remove the pulp, otherwise the seeds will make your wine bitter. The straining bag makes it much easier to remove the leftover fruit bits.

Watch for any signs of off-odors and deal with it sooner, rather than later. Strawberry can and often does develop some pretty nasty aromas. If you smell any hydrogen sulfide (aka "rotten eggs"), add a 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient to your 2 gallon batch and give it a good stir. This will help drive away the funk.

Steve
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                      I would suggest aging for about 6 months, but I'm sure it won't last that long
                      I usually drink a bottle per month to check on progress. At the moment I have the brother in law telling me it's almost July. In other words, almost time to try some more kiwi.

Comment

ive just checked my gravity and its at 1.080

it has a VERY strong strawberry smell

i didnt do it in a bag but that is a good idea, i shall do it next time.
                        i shall remove as many strawberry bits as i can tomorrow for the reason you noted, then rack it when i get down to 1.030.
                        i'll update when gett new info

Comment

ive strained my wine into two demijohns and topped with water all going good.
                          the gravity was at 1.037 so wasn't too bad.
                          i had a blow out a couple hours after fitting airlock, left it with blow out tube for a day and is fine now.

how long should i age it for? plus racking etc

Comment

Start tasting it 3 months after it has been bottled. If it is good, have another bottle in another month. If it is not good, wait another 3-6 months.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

how long till i should bottle? and while it is in secondary how long should it be there before i rack it etc

btw it is bubbling like crazy

Comment

Working...
                              X