What's your best wine ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your best wine ever?

I am new to wine making and have made three djs of rhubarb, one of elderflower and two of tea (earl grey) wine courtesy of CJJ Berry's excellent book. I haven't tasted it yet so don't know how successful I've been!

I was just wondering what to try next. I wanted to know what recipes people would recommend and what their best ever homemade wines were?

Welcome to the forum Deliaisace and I look forward to hearing how your wines turn out.

Rhubarb is one of my favourites, as is Ribena. Mead is another one I seem to have success with, but I suggest you try Wine No.1 next. I haven't made it myself yet, but everyone who has has had great results.

Here's the link

This will be a supermarket juice wine, as this is the easiest wine to make.....should be ready to drink in about 4-5 weeks...oh and it tastes good too! :) follow the recipe and method closely and dont be tempted to alter anything, we want to build winemaking skills, and so will start with this simple wine, and then progress
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Bilberry & Blackcurrant Wine

2 Jars of Bilberries (PEK or Krakus barnd)
      1 Jar of Blackcurrants (PEK or Krakus brand)
      1/2pt Red Grape juice concentrate
      1 3/4lb Sugar
      1 tsp Tannin
      1 tsp Tartaric Acid
      Gervin Yeast & nutrient
      Pectolase

Put fruit with juice into sterilised bin, crush fruit and add 2 pts cold water.
      In 2 pts of boiling water dissolve the sugar and pour into bin.
      Add red grape juice concentrate, acid, tannin, pectolase, and 1 crushed campden tablet.
      Cover and leave for 24 hrs.
      Add Yeast and nutrient.
      Cover and ferment on pulp for 3 days, stirring gently twice daily.
      Strain into demijohn.
      Ferment out.
      Rack, fine and filter as normal.
      Sweeten to 1005 - 1010.
      Enjoy
      Utrinque Paratus
      Where Pathfinder Platoon leads, everyone else follows

Comment

Originally posted by deliaisace View Post
        I am new to wine making and have made three djs of rhubarb, one of elderflower and two of tea (earl grey) wine courtesy of CJJ Berry's excellent book. I haven't tasted it yet so don't know how successful I've been!

I was just wondering what to try next. I wanted to know what recipes people would recommend and what their best ever homemade wines were?

If you like the rhubarb then next time you do a batch stick in a pound of bananas, more body and a great finish,
        My best must be elderberry very nice once aged 12 months+
        I have just put 5 gallon of the number 1 wine to ferment, heard great things of it

Comment

Apple & Elderberry

2 Ltr Apple Juice (Supermarket cartons)
          125 g Dried Elderberries
          1/2 pt Red grape juice concentrate
          1/2 tsp Tannin
          1 tsp tartaric acid
          1 1/2 lb Sugar
          Gervin No. 2 yeast & nutrient
          pectolase

Wash elderberries and remove damaged fruit.
          Add to sterilised bin,
          Pour on 2 pt cold water.
          Dissolve sugar in 1 pt boiling water and pour into bin.
          Cover and allow to cool.
          Add Apple juice, red grape juice concentrate, acid, tannin, pectolase, and 1 crushed campden tablet.
          Cover and leave for 24 hrs.
          Add yeast & nutrient.
          Cover and ferment on pulp for 3 days, gently stirring twice daily.
          Strain into demijohn.
          Ferment out.
          Rack, fine and filter as normal.
          Sweeten to 1012
          Enjoy
          Utrinque Paratus

Comment

Nice recipes Sniper, but could you please post recipes in the relevant section of the Recipe thread. It makes them easier for others to find in the future.

In the meantime I have copied and pasted these two for you
            Let's party

Comment

Sorry,
              I thought I was replying to a thread started by deliasace
              Utrinque Paratus

Comment

Thanks for the recipes and the suggestions. Will try wine No 1 and will go out hunting for elderberries soon. Must try the stuff I've already made too!

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  Sorry,
                  No probs Sniper, it's just so if anyone wants to make this in a few months time it will lost in the miriad of posts and hard to trace. Simplest way is add a link to your reply as so:

Apple and Elderberry

Apple & Elderberry originally posted by Sniper 2 Ltr Apple Juice (Supermarket cartons) 125 g Dried Elderberries 1/2 pt Red grape juice concentrate 1/2 tsp Tannin 1 tsp tartaric acid 1 1/2 lb Sugar Gervin No. 2 yeast & nutrient pectolase Wash elderberries and remove damaged fruit. Add to sterilised bin,
                  Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                    Sorry,
                    Either way, they're excellent sounding recipes - "right up my street".

Now I'm just gonna have to question one of our "night trunk" drivers, as he and his wife are Poles and they're bound to know the best place locally to get a good range of PEK (other than the ubiquitous chopped pork) is

Now Jan's put 'em in the recipes I can find 'em straight away.

Also, the apple and elderberry. It is better with fresh elderberry or have you always made it with dried ?

The apples I can get free locally at the moment - I got about 30lb off the Shoreham by pass yesterday evening - and there's lot's more there.

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Rich's tinned lychee recipe takes some beating.

National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Contrary to popular myths, us Scots are willing to buy dried elderberries rather than spend ages stripping berries from stalks
                        Utrinque Paratus

Comment

Working...
                        X