Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Blackberry wine going to quick....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Blackberry wine going to quick....??

Evening everyone, Im after some advice, probably the first of many.

I started a blackberry wine on Monday from scratch and the SG was at 1.080 checked it today out of the demijohn and the SG was at 1.000 already. Also the 'fizz' has nearly stopped.

Now not knowing much and this being the first one I have tried, is this going too quickly and should I wait till .990 to do anything with it..???

It might be something like, you just happened to make a very balanced must so the gravity is dropping quickly i.e. the apple/raspberry/elderberry melomel (I upped the gravity with honey so it's a melomel/fruit mead) was at about the 1090 mark when I first mixed it (pre-adding the elderberry), but when I checked the gravity 3 days later it was at about 1020/1030. So not quite as quick as your's but still quite quick.

The "knowledgeable ones" might be able to give you some more insight as too what's going on.

Either way, I'd ferment it to dry and either let it get to .990 or until it gives you the same reading on 3 consecutive days

dunno if that helps any, and as I say, others who know a mountain more than me are likely to give better suggestions/advice.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks JtFB..!

it threw me how quick it went an being 'newbie' thought I'd ruined it......Turns out there is still hope yet ....

Comment

I have seen a fresh grape must go from 1.090 to 1.000 in 5 days and on many occasions, wine kits take 3 weeks to do the same. Fermentation temperature, air pressure, type of yeast and what side of the bed you got out of all seem to have a bearing on the outcome. Don't worry about it, it's normal.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Temperature effects how quickly a ferment goes as does the amount of oxygen when starting your ferment I would say you have these things right and your yeast is happily doing its job good work.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Yep, sounds very normal. You need to get it into glass and under an airlock quickly now, if you haven't. Leave as much of the lees behind as possible. Top up as the ferment allows. This means with water or a similar dry wine. Anything with sugar will keep it fermenting and possibly throw it out of balance. It might go alot lower, or it might be finished now. Check SG again a week after you have it topped up, with a degassed sample. When it hasn't changed for a week, it is finished. You can then stabilize with sorbate and sulphite while racking off lees again. Then you can top up again and wait for it to clear.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Nothing more to add to Glenvalls excellent advice

top banana
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Having read some of the posts from our "site Yoda's", it's reassuring that I wasn't talking out of my ar5e (again).

Because I've got about 2 or 3 lb of blackberries to do something with, and my current batches of fruit "stuff" that are bubbling away, seem to be all "going like the clappers".

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Site Yodas?

hahaha too funny dude

hmm a winemaker you will be....hmmm judge me by my size do you?
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Its now starting to make a bit more sence to me now

And to the Yodas....

Comment

Working...
                    X