Scrumpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrumpy

I am being given a number of apples by a former British couple. From these, I intend to make several different versions of apple ferment.

Cider, beer, wine, jack, and scrumpy.

So, here comes the problem. What exactly is scrumpy? and how is it made?

Cheers;

Pat

It seems that scrumpy is a fermented cider.
    Cheers
    Hootus est

Comment

Pat,

I was always under the impression that scrumpy is an unfiltered, unrefined, higher alcohol version of what we in the states refer to as "hard cider."

Like most fermented apple products, I don't know that there's any standard definition. What's scrumpy to some might just be plain cider to others.

Steve
      Steve

Comment

From the BBC website.

Scrumpy is the name often given to traditional cider made mainly in the South and West of England. Its true heartland lies in a band through Devon, Somerset, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire, though it may also be found in Kent, Sussex and East Anglia.

The name is derived from the obsolete dialect word scrimp, meaning a withered apple. From this we also get the verb scrump, long used to mean stealing somebody else's apples, but originally referring to the custom of collecting windfalls.

Scrumpy differs from the 90 million gallons of cider produced yearly by Britain's large commercial cider producers in a number of ways. It is fermented naturally from whole apples rather than apple juice, contains no added sugar or water (or corn syrup), is unpasteurised and, most noticeably, is not carbonated. Scrumpy sold commercially is typically between 6% and 9% ABV, but the drink can reach as much as 15%.

And a recipe from Devon-calling.com

You should let the scrumpy mature for a year to become smoother and mellower

Ingredients:

12 pounds apples
        1/2 pound raisins
        1/2 pound raw meat
        1 gallon water at 70 degrees
        champagne yeast (tradition calls for bakers yeast)

Method

Chop and grind the apples and raisins. These days a food processor will do the trick
        Use a brewing barrel with an airlock - sort of thing Boots sell
        Put the ground apples and raisins into the water with the chopped meat.
        Stir thoroughly
        Add the yeast and seal the brewing barrel with the airlock
        Everyday swirl the barrel to stir the ingredients
        after the first fermentation slows, about 8-10 days, move to a similar vessal for seconary fermentation.
        If you like a dry cider, add a second dose of yeast to the secondary fermentation. Seal with an airlock.
        Let it sit until it the fermentation slows to a very slow, almost imperceptible bubble.
        Move to a carboy to let the heavier particles settle out.
        Let it sit for about a week and bottle.
        The scrumpy will need to mature for about four months before you will want to even try it since it will give off a strong unpleasant smell and almost vinegary taste.
        The longer it is allowed to mature, the better,smoother and drier it will get.

Good luck.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Please tell me why in the world one might add raw or any meat to a must !!!
          REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Dunno, it might help to keep flys away while they rack the good stuff, wine!

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Traditionally and anecdotally the very best scrumpy contains at least one dead rat.
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Yikes!
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

1/2 pound raw meat
                  Mmmmm.... meat-y.

I could see Homer Simpson making something like this. Throw in a pork chop, maybe a doughnut or two.
                  Steve

Comment

Would the meat add a little body ? do you think ?
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

No doubt. Particularly if the meat began its own life as a "little body".... for instance, a rat.

I'll be sure to steer clear of any scrumpy that Pat brings to the next WineFest.
                      Steve

Comment

I am sure I once saw a recipe that required adding a load of sausage meat to the must.

Comment

Dunno about dead rats or any other more exotic rodents available "t'other side o pond", but here's a link that might point you in the right direction........

regards

JtFB
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Gee, I didn't see anything about rats at FB's link. Maybe in days of old they just got thirsty and fell into the vat.
                            Hootus est

Comment

I live in Hereford, within a stone's throw of the Bulmers cider factory.

My grandad worked there for years. He fell into a cider VAT. Four men tried to rescue him but he bravely fought them all off.

The old ones are the best (but I DO live near the cider factory).
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                              X