Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have lots of elderberries - any ideas

Hi guys,

Im almost finish de stalking the elderberries. I may have around 5 or 6kg. what can i make?
    it to make it even beter
    i would like to make a sweet, ful bodied wine
    anyideas how

is there anything i can add extra to it to make it even better

Elderberry recipes here.

Use a high alcohol yeast and feed sugar to the must when the sg drops below 1.040 (Karl will say wait even longer ). Repeat this process until the yeast dies off, usual abv approx 17%. Taste and sweeten more if required. This will give you a dessert style wine, it needs to be very sweet to balance the amount of alcohol, if it were dry you would have an alcahol burn (hot) taste.

There is quite a bit about making dessert style wines on here, do a little more research before you start.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
      Elderberry recipes here.

Use a high alcohol yeast and feed sugar to the must when the sg drops below 1.040 (Karl will say wait even longer ). Repeat this process until the yeast dies off, usual abv approx 17%. Taste and sweeten more if required. This will give you a dessert style wine, it needs to be very sweet to balance the amount of alcohol, if it were dry you would have an alcahol burn (hot) taste.

There is quite a bit about making dessert style wines on here, do a little more research before you start.
      Well there is a reason for this, if you feed at 1.040 and the alcohol tolerance is met and you have increased the sg by say .020 you will end up with a finishing gravity of 1.040 at minimum maybe higher.
      If you feed at a lower sg say 1.020 and increase by .010 at each feeding you are never going to have a finishing gravity of more than 1.030 which would be about right for a dessert wine.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

There you go, I knew there would be a sensible (slightly geeky) reason, makes sence though.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
        X