Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhubarb

what fruits go well with rhubarb

I'm just about to get an apple and rhubarb on the go, and I'll probably try one with banana - they add body, but these are experimental so I have no idea what the outcome will be.

Maybe strawberry? (I'm gonna try that one too )
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

What about a rhubarb and custard wine for an experiment?
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

My favourite is rhubarb and ginger
        I wish I was a glow worm
        Cos a glow worm's never glum
        It's hard to be unhappy
        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

i have loads of apples what in poundage would you use or doesnt it matter

Comment

Dunno - I haven't started it yet, but I was thinking of somewhere around 5-6lb ish, but I might add more if I think it needs it.

PS. Yes, and ginger works beautifully, especially if you add zest of 1 and juice of 2 oranges.
            Last edited by Mamgiowl; 09-09-2008, 01:43 PM.
            Let's party

Comment

Rhubarb is nasty and doesn't go well with anything.

If you must pair it with something, me Mutter makes a killer strawberry and rhubarb cobbler.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                Rhubarb is nasty and doesn't go well with anything.

If you must pair it with something, me Mutter makes a killer strawberry and rhubarb cobbler.

That's clinched it then - strawberry and rhubarb it is.

And I disagree with your first statement Hippie. A light rhubarb wine goes beuatifully with a warm, sunny evening (we used to get them in summers long ago) in the garden
                Let's party

Comment

I have a rhubarb and raspberry wine fermenting away at the moment
                  As shown in the link, back right pink ones.

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...1633#post41633

Never made it before so no idea what the outcome will b but i had both so i figured why not
                  Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
                  Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Comment

Depends how the rhubarb is processed, if it is frozen and allowed to thaw letting the juice run out without squeezing, it can make yummy wine.

N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

banana goes realy well, have made lots in the past and have one clearing now,

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        Depends how the rhubarb is processed, if it is frozen and allowed to thaw letting the juice run out without squeezing, it can make yummy wine.

Right then, why don't you squeeze the rhubarb after it's been frozen?

I've 8lbs in the freezer waiting for time to do it..

I like the sound of the rhubarb and ginger.

Rich

Comment

When I make Rhubarb wine, I cut the rhubarb up freeze it. Then I put the frozen rhubarb into a bucket pour on sugar and leave four 24 hrs. I then pour on boil water strain into D/J test S.G And add more sugar if need.
                          Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

I've tasted a few excellent rhubarb wines, however, my first attempt at making it turned out only average. I added a lot of water and grape concentrate to bring the acid down, and diluted the flavor too much in the process.

I've seen a few recipes that mention adding chalk to lower the acid. Has anyone tried that?

I have 12 lbs sitting in the freezer that I should do something with soon. I'd rather make wine than cobbler.
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                              I've tasted a few excellent rhubarb wines, however, my first attempt at making it turned out only average. I added a lot of water and grape concentrate to bring the acid down, and diluted the flavor too much in the process.

I've seen a few recipes that mention adding chalk to lower the acid. Has anyone tried that?

I have 12 lbs sitting in the freezer that I should do something with soon. I'd rather make wine than cobbler.
                              Watch out Steve Bob may be watching can't bake fermentables you know
                              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X