Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

Last night I think I might have made a B***s up of my wine I had racked 1x4 gallons of various wines (1st racking) and at the end a put into each dj table spoon of pectolase and 1 campden tablet what will the out come be or how if any can I correct it. They all seem rather clowdy

Did you check the sg of these wines, have they finished fermenting? Campden tablets are added at the end of fermentation at the same time as potassium sorbate to fend off unwanted moulds etc and then at every other racking. If your wine was still fermenting, it may slow down or stop all together because the campden will stun the yeast into submission. Pectolase is usualy added at the start to break down pectins that may be present in fruit or juice. Was your wine clear before you added it?
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Hi Richard thanks for your fast reply, yes I cheched the sgs and they ranged from 990 to 996 and yes they where more clearer than they are now and I thought I was putting potassium sorbate in ( dont ask I stood on my reading spec's earlier in the day. I put out the items that I intended to use and the head ferret had been around the house dusting

Comment

Everything should work out ok. The dosage for the sorbate is half a teaspoon per gallon according to the instructions on the tub I have, you don't want to over do this. Just leave the wine for a bit and see if the haze starts to drop out.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

It'll be fine, campden tablet contain 0.44 grm's of sulphite the rest is powder, along with the pectolase causing the cloudiness...add sorbate and put to one side add finings in a couple of days if not clearing on it's own.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            add sorbate and put to one side
            Not pectolase.

Comment

phew thanks guys I could not face the head ferret and say when she asked what was I doing pouring that stuff away.

Comment

Working...
              X