Identify this fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this fruit

I keep finding things growing in my garden.

I've noticed these things but never really got around to identifying them. This years I'm on the lookout for anything that ferments!

It's about 50mm (2 inches) long (the line around it, and the chunk taken out of it, were inflicted by me). It is apple-like, but is growing on a small (knee-high) bush. The fruit grow along the branches, one behind the other, rather than hanging form the ends.

It looks a bit like a wrinkly apple. The texture is apple-like and, as you can see from the photos, it's not a million miles away from an apple on the inside. As you can see, it oxidises like an apple too.

Taste - sharp, apple-like. If it's poisonous, it's been nice knowing you

I think I know what it is, but I'lll wait for your suggestions before I reveal what I think.
    Attached Files
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Looks like some sort of a quince.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
      Looks like some sort of a quince.
      Yep, I'd second that

Comment

I saw this on tv recently, the fruit is called Barrack Jinti (rotting flesh). The Mbuto Bindi tribe use the juice to coat their hunting arrow tips when they can't find tree frogs. They tend not to use this method now as the juice has flesh eating properties and it takes too long (up to 12 hrs for the prey to die.

Hope this helps.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
          I saw this on tv recently, the fruit is called Barrack Jinti (rotting flesh). The Mbuto Bindi tribe use the juice to coat their hunting arrow tips when they can't find tree frogs. They tend not to use this method now as the juice has flesh eating properties and it takes too long (up to 12 hrs for the prey to die.

Hope this helps.
          Yes, it does help, thanks. Not feeling .... too ............................

Actually, I thought it was a Quince too.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Yep, it's a quince
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Righto!

Pete the Instructor

Comment

or...

Quince Vodka
                2 large ripe yellow quinces
                70cl vodka
                60g sugar
                1 litre preserving jar
                Sterilised bottles (about 2-3 months after you start the recipe)

Method:
                Wash the quinces (removing all the furry bits) then grate every last bit of them including the core, pips & skin and put into the jar along with the sugar. Pour the vodka over & give it all a good shake to dissolve the sugar.
                Store in a cool dark place for 2-3 months, shaking the jar a bit every couple of days for the first fortnight. After 3 months taste it
                If you want it to be a little sweeter, add more sugar.
                Strain through muslin or coffee filters into a clean jar & then bottle in sterilized bottles & store.
                You will see that as liqueur, as it ages it turns from a golden yellow to a beautiful amber colour.
                Quince vodka is at its absolute best more than a year after bottling.
                I wish I was a glow worm
                Cos a glow worm's never glum
                It's hard to be unhappy
                When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Cool, I've never seen a quince fruit. We have those thorny flowering quince bushes here, but they have no fruit.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                  X