Apple juice - recipe ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple juice - recipe ideas please

Hi everyone. It is that time of year again and I have been given free picking of an old orchard. This year I am using a Mehu Lisa to steam extract the juice from the apples - this leaves me with apple mush (if required) and lovely pasteurised apple juice.

I would like to use some of the juice to make a nice apple wine so that I can give a couple of bottles to the owner of the orchard as a thank you. Any recipe ideas would be gratefully accepted. I tried CJJ Berry's recipe last year and it was a disaster.
    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Freeze some juice of which you have added the proper amounts of pectic enzyme, sorbate, and sulphite.

Adjust the SG of the remaining juice to 1.090. Ferment to dry as normal with the normal adjuncts. Stabilize with sorbate and sulphite. Degas. Sweeten to taste with the reserved apple juice. Clear. Bottle.

Last edited by Hippie; 13-09-2008, 09:28 AM.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Or if you happen to have any other fruit, make a mixed one i.e. apple and blackberry or apple and elderberry etc etc..

I'd go for a couple of pound (maybe 3) of whatever else is available and then apple juice instead of water. If the SG is a bit low, then you can always increase it with cheap supermarket honey instead of sugar.

Or just make some cyser i.e. increase the gravity of the AJ with honey.

etc etc etc.....

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

1 gallon Apple & Banana
        Ingredients
        2 ltr Apple juice
        4 Bananas
        245g White Grape Juice Concentrate
        2 lb Sugar
        ½ tsp Tannin
        2 tsp Tartaric Acid
        Gervin yeast preferred
        Yeast nutrient
        Pectolase

Method
        Sterilize all equipment.
        Put apple juice into demijohn.
        Dissolve the sugar in 1 pt of boiling water.
        Allow to cool then add to demijohn.
        Simmer bananas with 1 tsp of acid in 1 ltr of water for 30 minutes in a covered saucepan, cool then strain liquor into demijohn.
        Add 1 tsp acid, tannin, pectolase, and shake well.
        Make up to 1 gallon with cold water.
        Add yeast and nutrient.
        Ferment out.
        Rack, fine and filter as normal.
        Sweeten to 1016
        Utrinque Paratus
        Where Pathfinder Platoon leads, everyone else follows

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
          Freeze some juice of which you have added the proper amounts of pectic enzyme, sorbate, and sulphite.

Adjust the SG of the remaining juice to 1.090. Ferment to dry as normal with the normal adjuncts. Stabilize with sorbate and sulphite. Degas. Sweeten to taste with the reserved apple juice. Clear. Bottle.

Cheers Hippie, how do I know what the proper amounts of pectic enzyme etc are please? At the moment, the juice is slightly syrupy and not quite sweet enough to drink as it is - mostly cooking apples in the orchard I think.

Am I freezing spare juice to make more wine later or is it best frozen before making the wine?
          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Sniper, your recipe sounds lovely. However, the apple juice I have is rather more 'solid' than bought apple juice so not sure how it would go. Might give it a try if the kids don't eat the bananas soon
            www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

The juice you freeze is reserve for sweetening the finished wine made from the juice you do not freeze. Your container of pectice enzyme, sorbate, etc. should be labeled with instructions for how much to use per liter or gallon.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
              X