oops to much sugar I think!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oops to much sugar I think!

I have just started on my second ever red wine and think I have made a big mistake in my excitement to get things started.
    yesterday I boiled 3k elderberries that I had from the freezer after defrosting. I put this in a fermenting bin with 1 crushed campden tablet, 500g chopped rasins and 8 litres water, 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme SG was 1000 and I left it to rest for 24hrs.
    Tonight I dissolved 2400g sugar in some of the must and added this to the fermentation bin with 2 teaspoons yeast compound and 2 teaspons yeast nutrient, 1 can of red wine enhancer. when I checked the SG it was 1100 - have i completely ruined this or will it be ok - I realised I should have used the hydrometer table to work out how much sugar to use but in my haste I forgot this vital step any advice gratefully recieved
    sue

I wouldn't say that you've ruined it.

Yes, 1100 is a little on the high side, so it then begs the question is it fermenting OK ?

If so, then let it do it's thing.

Of course, it might depend on what yeast was used as to whether you might get any problems or not.

According to Bob's chart, 1100 equates to just under 15% ABV. So if the yeast is one that "bottoms out" at 14, then there could be some residual sugar and it might not ferment all the way to "dry".

Though stuff like EC-1118 will go to about 18% and even RC-212 will (according to the data sheet) go to 16%.

How long has it been fermenting ?

Whether it's worth thinking about aerating it on a daily basis for the first week, I'm not sure - it's something that's often done with high gravity meads, but whether it's likely to affect an elderberry wine adversely ? I'm guessing that one of the "forum Yodas" will be able to say one way or another.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Erm you didn't say whether you have actually started the ferment or not yet ? If you haven't pitched the yeast, then you can alway remove some of the must (keep it, handy for topping up maybe ?) and dilute it with more water to bring the gravity down...

p.p.s. some of the info in this thread might help a bit.
    Last edited by fatbloke; 09-10-2008, 09:10 PM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Hi fatbloke
      thanks for replying so quickly
      I just started it tonight so it hasent started to ferment yet, I panicked as I thought it was way too high and had been ruined. I am using the youngs yeast compound and yeast nutrient. I could stir it everyday if it would help. thanks for the link I will have a read now and see what I can find out
      sue

Comment

Add 1 litre of water, give it a good stir and check the Sg again, I suspect it will drop to around 1.090 if it drops to that level, let it ferment as is.

however, dont worry too much, it will just take longer to age likely, as the alc content will be a tad high, you may also end up with wine a little on the sweet side (not always a bad thing)

a further 1/2 to 1 litre of water added will likely drop you to 1.080 ...a good starting position in my opinion)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thanks lockwood I will do this now, I wouldent have known to do this as a newbie
          sue

Comment

Working...
          X