Kiwi Fruit wine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi Fruit wine question

Yesterday, Clare, my partner, decided to defrost the "back" fridge.

So I chiselled my way into the freezer box and removed just under 11lb of kiwi fruit (from last time they were really cheap), I finally unboxed the cheap steam juicer that I got on ebay a month or two ago and fired it up.

Now I'm the owner of just under 1 gallon of kiwi fruit juice (and I'm surprised how it's come out as I gathered that it should - theoretically - retain the "fresh fruit" flavour........it hasn't).

So, having just looked at the recipes section it seems that it's about the 3 to 4 lb per gallon ratio.

I prefer to have my fruit wines more, well, fruit flavoured.

So can anyone think of any downsides to just splitting the juice between 2 gallons i.e. about the 5 to 5.5 lb per gallon ?

Oh and while I think about it, the kiwi juice taste has changed so it's almost like "cooked gooseberry" rather than fresh kiwi tasting. So it concerns me a little if I'm gonna use it for some apples later this year.........

Is it a case of not using it for "sensitive" fruit ? because of the potential for the taste change and/or pectin problems or what ?

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Well I might be a tad stupid but to my mind :- steam = superheat = cooked fruit.

I'm not familiar with the actual machine and its method of working, but doesn't the above formula seem fairly obvious?
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
      Well I might be a tad stupid but to my mind :- steam = superheat = cooked fruit.

I'm not familiar with the actual machine and its method of working, but doesn't the above formula seem fairly obvious?
      Yes, it is logical, sort of.

Having read the "rave reviews" here (and else where), the only thing it does have going for it is convenience though Jan.

Put the water in the bottom, fruit in the top, fit the pipe and tap closure, and chuck it on the hob.

Hence I'm thinking that it's gonna be handy for fruit that don't change taste too much etc when cooked/heated. Though whether it's the action of the steam or that the "juice kettle" section is directly over the water boiler section...................

Just means that I won't be using it with apples, pears or kiwi fruit.

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

The other thing that was confusing me was that on another thread a while ago Bob said you get X amount of juice from elderberries using the normal method, but for the same volume of juice done via the steamer you'd need more elderberries. Doesn't seem economically viable to me, but what do I know?
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
          The other thing that was confusing me was that on another thread a while ago Bob said you get X amount of juice from elderberries using the normal method, but for the same volume of juice done via the steamer you'd need more elderberries. Doesn't seem economically viable to me, but what do I know?
          Well I'd guess that unless it's a specific juice recipe i.e. a recipe that states that you'd use X amount of juice then if you are following a recipe that uses X lb of whatever, then that X amount of whatever should, I'd have thought, produced enough juice to make the recipe.

Whereas if it states X amount of juice then you'd have to keep making the juice until you had the correct amount.

Either way, I'd think that you'd be able to follow the recipe to attain the flavour as developed by the original author.....

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

pectolase/pectin quantities ?

Ok, so I know I'm using Kiwi as an example, but apart from the "cooked" flavour I'm getting (yes I'll happily admit that it depends on which fruit is getting juiced and it's sensitivity to heat).........

Have the more experience "steam juicers" found that you need to use more pectolase because of the juices exposure to heat and it's possibly negative effect on the amount of pectin produced by the process ?

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              Ok, so I know I'm using Kiwi as an example, but apart from the "cooked" flavour I'm getting (yes I'll happily admit that it depends on which fruit is getting juiced and it's sensitivity to heat).........

Have the more experience "steam juicers" found that you need to use more pectolase because of the juices exposure to heat and it's possibly negative effect on the amount of pectin produced by the process ?

regards

JtFB

I haven't got a steam juicer.... but the instructions on my pectolase says to use 2 tsps per gallon when using with heated or boiled fruits, as opposed to 1 tsp per gallon, when the fruit is not heated.
              Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

John,
                for sure double up on the pectolase, your half way to making jam.

We have just recently had a fixed recipe kiwi competition at the wine circle which was rotten, too much kiwi doesn't make for a good wine.
                I would quite simply do a wine #1 and add a litre of kiwi juice per gallon.

PS, as you've gathered steamers aren't good for all fruit, best to use it mainly for blackberry and elderberry.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  John,
                  for sure double up on the pectolase, your half way to making jam.
                  Cheers for that Karl, I did think it was probably something like that.
                  We have just recently had a fixed recipe kiwi competition at the wine circle which was rotten, too much kiwi doesn't make for a good wine.
                  I would quite simply do a wine #1 and add a litre of kiwi juice per gallon.
                  Actually I've got a couple of recipes for kiwi fruit melomel (from "he who shall not be named/mentioned") which is what I'm aiming for - though I know how much fruit made the gallon of juice I've now got, so I'll review my intentions before I start, and I might still have enough juice left over to try a gallon of "number 1" as well.
                  PS, as you've gathered steamers aren't good for all fruit, best to use it mainly for blackberry and elderberry.
                  In truth, if it hadn't have been for Clare wanting to defrost the fridge in the first place it would still be full of the frozen fruit, it's just that I thought it was time to give "it" (the steam juicer) a try as I didn't have anything else to test it with.

The heated Kiwi juice is actually like a slightly sweetened gooseberry flavour so I'm thinking/hoping that it shouldn't come out too bad. If it did, then what the hell, either blending or "purify" it. Either way, it won't go to waste (unless I manage to "pickle" it)!

TVM for the guidance

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

"Clare wanting to defrost the fridge"

Sure wish I had her gumption. I have an upright freezer and a small chest freezer that are both in need. I guess I may get to it, we just got 12 inches of snow dumped on us.
                    Hootus est

Comment

Working...
                    X