Pectin haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pectin haze

Hey up, I made an apple, strawberry and grape wine and it's lovely but it is not clear. I used kwik clear with no effect and I am pretty sure it is pectin. The thing is, can I put pectolase in a wine that is finished fermenting and has been racked and been sulphited? Would running it through a filter remove the pectin? This wine tastes lovely so if it's has to stay cloudy, I will just keep it all to myself
    David
    Wine making noob

Running through a filter wouldn't completely clear a pectin haze. As far as I can see some Pectolaze won't do any harm, but I'd try some Bentonite first, it's magic stuff and works like a dream. However if it is pectin it won't do the job, unfortunately
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
      This wine tastes lovely so if it's has to stay cloudy, I will just keep it all to myself
      I think you should bring it round here tonight so that I can take a closer look and sample it for you (I'll even do it free of charge!)
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Take about 10ml of the wine, and add some methylated spirit to it, shake it like crazy and if it goes stringy it contains pectin.

If it does contain pectin, adding pectolase will clear it.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
        X