Big red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big red

So far, most of my wines have been white or rosé, but I fancy trying a big red. I'm guilty of ignoring red cos they seem to take longer to mature and I wanted wine to drink NOW. Also I cant see through red to see if it's clearing and that's put me off. Time to try though now I've got gallons of white under way. So, please can someone recommend a recipe I can follow with ingredients available now, that'll make a great, big, fat red.
    Thanks.

You need to be looking at getting a kit such as a Beaverdale Barolo or Merlot etc. As for checking clarity, this is best done by drawing a sample off and checking it in the glass. While you are drinking your kit reds you could then be making some blackberry/elderberry or even get some wine grapes.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I meant to say I dont want to use a kit...

I'll definitely be doing blackberrys/elderberries when they come, I just hoped there'd be something to try sooner.
      I'm a little nervous of reds cos I haven't done any. I like the idea of using wine grapes, but apart from not knowing where to get them, I wouldn't want to mess it up.

Comment

On the strength of this post (thanks Aid) I've raided my freezer and have started a 3lbs Blackberry, 3lbs Elderberry and 1/2lb Sloe wine today. (the sloes were just what I had hanging around so decided to use them up)

All the fruit has gone thro the steam juicer, and I've added a small tin of RGC, plus the usual bits, some oak chppings and will pitch the yeast in the morning.
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
          On the strength of this post (thanks Aid) I've raided my freezer and have started a 3lbs Blackberry, 3lbs Elderberry and 1/2lb Sloe wine today. (the sloes were just what I had hanging around so decided to use them up)

All the fruit has gone thro the steam juicer, and I've added a small tin of RGC, plus the usual bits, some oak chppings and will pitch the yeast in the morning.
          Are those quantities for a gallon only I have just been given 2lbs of frozen blackberries and am itching to use them.
          Would 2lbs be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
            Are those quantities for a gallon only I have just been given 2lbs of frozen blackberries and am itching to use them.
            Would 2lbs be enough.

For some reason, I have the number 4lbs per gallon in my head... so your 2lbs would not be enough for a gallon.

I think the wine Lushie was making will be for a gallon... it will be a big red with that amount of fruit in it.

You could try mixing your blackberries with some tinned fruit.

Or

In the recipe section there is a recipe from Sniper for Chateau Neuf...
            Its on my list of things to try
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
              Would 2lbs be enough.
              Yes, the quantities I used are for a gallon, so no, 2lbs blackberries wouldn't be enough, but as Spritzer said, you could get some tinned blackcurrants, and maybe some dried elderberries and use a combination of all 3?

So how about 2lbs blackberries, 1 tin blackcurrants, 1/2lb dried elderberries as a plan?
              HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Plonky mentioned Sainsbury's frozen fruit offer here, could this fruit be used with red grape concentrate for a big red?

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
                  Plonky mentioned Sainsbury's frozen fruit offer here, could this fruit be used with red grape concentrate for a big red?
                  Indeedy

Comment

cmon Spritzer, land me with a recipe or link. I'm redy for this!

Comment

cmon Spritzer, land me with a recipe or link. I'm redy for this!

Sorry.... I dont actually have a recipe Aid

But, I would use up the blackberries that you already have, and buy the frozen fruit to make it up to the 3-4 lbs that you need for one DJ of wine.

I had a look at the offer in the link...
                      They have blueberries, cherries and blackforest fruits.
                      I guess it depends on your taste as to what you can combine with your blackberries.
                      Personally, I would use the blueberries

And here's a LINKY for a blackberry recipe, from the recipe section

Comment

For a BIG red .......

you need big ingredients, and I'm afraid that fruits of the forest just isn't enough

as a minimum it is 2 lbs elderberries and 2 lbs blackberries

you may substitue 2lbs of bilberries or blueberries for the blackberries, but if you want a big red, then you HAVE to have either grape concentrate or elderberries
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

will dried elderberries from the local HBS do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            For a BIG red .......

you need big ingredients, and I'm afraid that fruits of the forest just isn't enough

as a minimum it is 2 lbs elderberries and 2 lbs blackberries

you may substitue 2lbs of bilberries or blueberries , but if you want a big red, then you HAVE to have either grape concentrate or elderberries

Bilberries seem to be an endangered species cannot find them anywhere the Pek and Krakus ones seem to have vanished?

A simple "big (small) Red" is that possible with cherries,blackberries and elder
                            berries just I don't care for blackcurrants even so I cannot find them for for sale tinned or otherwise

Adoring cherries any good recipies for a good simple or fullish bodied red using them ?
                            Last edited by plonky; 11-03-2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

will dried elderberries from the local HBS do the job?
                              yes they will.
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X